Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried this? I hate that nasty greasy film on the top of the water. Most likely due to my over feeding but regardless has anyone successfully hooked the Fluval brand surface skimmer up to an FX4? Im not having good success with these FX filters and trying not to tear my whole tank down to add my sump/overflow to this tank, but im getting close.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Cichlidude said:
Just create more turbulent surface agitation to clear it up.
+1. That greasy film will limit the oxygen transfer so you want to break that up with more water flow. My tanks have alot of surface agitation but my sumps get that surface film in one chamber, which I solve by running a canister filter there.

I've never tried a surface skimmer in a FW tank, sorry can't help there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah maybe the outputs are too low.. LOL right now I have an FX4 and FX6 and also a Sunsun 304B running on that 135.. I have a bunch of water movement I think a little too much but maybe the outputs need to be raised a bit.. Ill try that thanks CD.. The SunSun has a small surface skimmer that works pretty good but I didn't want to run 3 filters I was trying to just run the 2 Fluvals.. Oh well one more thing I don't like about Fluvals FX series filters. Maybe Ill run the FX6 and the Sunsun and throw that FX4 in the trash LMAO.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I threw my Sunsun spray bar away and put on this Loc-line 1/2" Robo Arm Adjustable Dual Return Nozzle. Much better turbulent water flow and more output.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts