Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here using this filter? What do you think about it? And how much did you pay for it?
Does it come with any media? I heard some said it doesn't, have to purchase them seperately.
And what media do I need? I've seen so many different type....are some for marine tank only?
Any experience sharing will be much appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
All the Fluvals that are for sale at "major " retailers, will have all the media and everything you need to start the filter including the media. I love mine i have no complaints with mine, just use common sense and read the directions while setting up, every piece is a vital piece. It will make an obnoxious clicking sound until you prime it correctly. It says not to fill the canister with water while priming. I filled the canister partly 40% then manually pumped the rest in to create the seal, which is the importance of manually pumping the water in. But it took about 15 min of straight pumping water in. So do as you wish while priming, but my arm hurt after lol. great filters tho when used and assembled correctly. i got mine from Petco.com for 169.99 in stores they are 219.99 + 20% employee disc, online still had a better price rofl. good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
The only media that is included with the FX5 are the sponges that surround each of the three baskets. At least mine didn’t include anything else. That being said, I am very pleased with mine. For what it’s worth, pot scrubbers and filter floss as worked great for me.

Here is a review…
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews/vi ... hp?id=1205

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have an FX5 on my 200gal. I used Eheim media in the baskets (Substrate pro, and noddles) I think Eheim make better media that will far outlast many others on the market. Lacey paid 170.00 but I wonder if it was for the FX5. I have never seem it that cheap. The cheapest I have ever seen it not being on sale is 250.00 at The Hidden Reef located in Levittown, Pa. They have a website and will have it shipped to you. Also if you have the extra money get yourself an Eheim, though I am very happy with the Fluval I don't think it will ever outlast my Eheim some which have been running for 15years and no problems.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
They are generally available for $200 or less on Ebay. I paid $190 for mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts