Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Got rid of the sump from my marine tank yesterday (i now keep malawis and tangs in there) and I have installed the monster that is the FX5.

I was expecting to go downstairs this morning and see ultra clear water but to my disappointment the water was not cloudy but had lots if bits floating around.

Is it possible that because of the increased water flow, the bits are being stirred up and are un the process of being filtered out?

Its a 280l tank without the sump so the fx5 should be turning water over at a rate of just under 10x per hour.

Advice and your observations please.

Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Your question begs more questions.
What did you do to prep your tank for the SW/FW change?
What media are you using in the FX5?
Sand?
Gravel?
Does the particulate have color?
Really need a bit more info.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

to answer your questions:-

1, What did you do to prep your tank for the SW/FW change? I emptied both tank and sump, cleaned both and put new media in sump. filled tank and sump with FW. started the system running and matured the tank for 4 weeks using a couple of fish and regular water tests. This was about 5 months ago.
2, What media are you using in the FX5? I have Bacti-Stars and Ceramic Hoops in top. Alfagrog in middle all of which have been maturing in the sump for about 4-5 months and coarse, medium and polishing pad in bottom.
3, Sand or Gravel? I have black sand with a handful of coral sand.
4, Does the particulate have color? It appears to be food, faecal matter but very small and the water appears slightly hazy / cloudy.

Just to note, the tank is established and the alfagrog, ceramics, bacti-stars and the coarse sponge media has been in the sump for some time maturing.

Hope this helps

Pete

·
Registered
803 Posts
How clean was the water to start? I know it sounds weird, but when the fine filter pad gets clogged the fx5 can blow microbubbles. It can give the look of hazy/cloudy water. If seems unlikely that the pad would clog overnight, but it would be worth checking. Most of the people I know that have fx5s use quilt batting instead of the fine filter pads. It is cheaper and seems to last a little longer.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
It appears to be food, faecal matter but very small and the water appears slightly hazy / cloudy.

That sounds good and bad.
Good that you have sufficient circulation to get the gunk up in suspension. I would rather that, then have it collecting in the tank.
Bad that your filters intake seems not to be picking it up.
If it were me, I would start the move and see dance.
Move the intake around and observe how it sucks up the debris.
Honestly, I was hoping it would be something simple and quick to fix.

The other thing that comes to mind is you are getting bypass in the filter. The matter gets sucked in, chopped up by the impeller and portions of it get spewed back into the tank.
Any scenario means some close observation. Trial and error.
Good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks,

The water was clean before I started the change.

I suppose its just been 24hrs since the change over so I gotta let is settle in / down before I start to worry.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The thing I found with the FX5 is that it really stirs things up and you may have just changed your water flow when you instaled it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Every once in a while mine will get a little cloudy and I'll notice some very small particulate matter on the surface. I modify my small powerhead/sponge filter to agitate the surface more and it usually takes care of it.

Last time I checked my filter after water was a little cloudy the sponges were pretty clean but I had some very fine "silt" in my netting that encloses my matrix in bottom two trays. I figure some of the very fine stuff is slipping through. I now add 2 capfuls of Seachem Clarity about once a month. Gets some extra stuff out of the water and into the filter.

I have 1 layer of scrubbies in the bottom of the top layer, and some finer filter media in the bottom of the bottom layer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my reading about the fx5 (I just ordered 2 for myself!) I found that this particular filter runs water from top down, rather than bottom up (like most canisters).

So, if the water is running down through the canister from the top, shouldn't the mechanical filtration be on top, and bio in the middle and bottom?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yes. However, there are sponges on the side which perform the majority of the mechanical filtration.

It actually goes in the top of the filter straight to the bottom (where there's a drain plug), then up the sides through the sponges.
Then it goes down through baskets (I have 1L of matrix in the middle & 1L of matrix in the bottom) then out the output of the filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.