Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I recently bough a fluval 406, been up and running for 3 weeks now and every so often maybe twice a day it does something odd. Its almost as if a air pocket gets created with in the canister and then shoots it out of the return outlet. Then a bunch of bubbles come out. You can hear it too sounds like there is strain on the motor for 2 seconds. But then goes back to normal.

I'm using all the stock hoses and the pick up tube and return nozzle. Inside I left all the foams in place. In the bottom basket I have the black medium foam and on top the fine white filter floss. The rest of the remaining 3 baskets are filled with bio rings.

I'm not really bothered by it but if its bad for the pump long run I would like to know what to trouble shoot not sure where to start since everything looks fine to me.

·
Super Moderator
1,863 Posts
I'm not personally familiar with that particular canister filter but usually what happens is that somehow air is getting drawn into the filter, either through the intake hose connections at the tank or at the filter, the lid gasket or o-ring not seated properly, the canister top not clamped properly or if using an air bubbler/air stone or wand near the intake strainer.

What you can try first though is to unplug the power cable from the mains/power outlet, slightly shake the canister filter to help dislodge trapped air, watch to see any air pockets 'climb' the hose from the output hose/piping, wait a couple minutes and then plug the power cable back in. You will then see more air come out of the filter. IF the air continues to come out of the return in the next few days, check the connections I suggested in my first comments.

Did you trim the input/output hose to the correct length for your particular set up or did you leave them long with loops or sags in them?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've been using a 307 for a few weeks myself and a little bunch of bubbles spurt out about every 4-5 minutes out of mine. It's only a little spurt each time and I thought it was normal.

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
You can check with the manufacturer but with my Filstars and Eheims, this means air is getting in when it shouldn't. They suggest flushing water through (easier with the Filstars) until no air is in the unit, and tightening connections if it continues to happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds similar to what Ken31cay is saying except not nearly as frequent. The lid is pressed tighlty to the bottom. I used airline tubing between the clamps and the canister otherwise they are kind of loose and you can rattle them around.

No extra slack. out put goes straight up into the tank and connections are way down in the water. Could only pull air from the inline heater or the connection on the powerhead.

For the intake side it does slop down wards towards the filter ( filter is on the right side of the cabinet under the tank and intake is on the far left ) so it does have to travel across the length of the tank. but again the intake tube and connection are under water so could only bring air in from the connection next to the powerhead.

I will give your method a try with shaking it with the power off and see if does anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,863 Posts
I'm guessing you bought the canister filter used and not new since you are using airline tubing to make the clamps hold the top on tighter? If so, it is very possible you need to buy a new o-ring/gasket for the pump head top.

What powerhead are you using that has connections on it and what are you using it for?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brand new, just bad design on their part, got the idea from youtube somebody else did the same thing to fix that issue, believe with the 7 series they fixed it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a bubble tube running across the back of the tank. Air bubbles would get sucked into the intake tubes on both the HOB and canister. Easy fix, move the bubble tube or intake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.