Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just in a local retailer today and they're having a Memorial Day sale. Regularly priced at 130 and on sale for 59. Thinking about buying it. I currently run a 60 gallon with 2 Emp 400s, was thinking about trading it out for a canister. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think that sounds like a good deal, but a 205 is not enough to filter a 60g by itself. You could probably do the 205 and an AC50, depending on what kind of fish, and how many.

·
Registered
656 Posts
travisbundo said:
No, it would be a 205 and a Emp 400 or a 205 and an AC110
OK, perfect, just be sure to keep an eye on ammonia and nitrite levels any time you make a change to your filtration system, extra water changes, and prime may be required until the system gets established.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havent decided if I'm going to purchase it or not. The price is hard to pass up, if they had similiar sale on 405 or 305 Id prob grab it w/out thought.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a 204, it does a very nice job and for $60 it's hard to beat!

What kind of mbuna do you have? I have a 75 and I'm working out my stocking and I'm just curious about what you have.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
5 Yellow Labs
5 Msobo Deep Magunga
6 Cyn. Afra Jalo Reef
1 random female Kenyi
1 Syn. Cat/1 albino bristlnose/1 reg. bristlnose
1 Peacock

Msobos are still 1" fry, the 6 afra are 1.5"-2", labs about 2.5" and kenyi is about 3"

My goal is 15-20 fish.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Cool man, right now I have:
~20 Rusty (honestly don't know the exact number, they are 1-1.5" fry)
2 Maingano
1 Lab
1 Zebra

I know I want rustys but I don't know if I want:
10 Rusty
10 Saulosi
Or
10 Maingano
5 Rusty
5 Lab

·
Registered
355 Posts
Ya I really wanted the XP3 but the XP2 was on sale for like $79 and I couldn't pass it up. I just pair it up with a large hob filter also.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I love Maingano, I have a female thats in a 10 gallon atm, waiting for the fry in my main tank to grow a bit before I unleash her.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to pass on the 205 just because the GPH is so low. The Emp 400 HOB filters are such a good value for the GPH. It just wish they werent so noisy.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, *** read good things about the XP3. But if I'm going to spend that much, you can get FX5s online for 180 new. Why not fork over the extra 40 bucks?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
XP3s are the best! Incredible value for the price.

But, I do have to say, I couldn't believe the price on the 205s. I bought 2 for a 26g bow and a 46g bow, both planted tanks with tropicals. They were running AC70s before then. The water got crystal, CRYSTAL clear after I ran the Fluvals. The water didn't look bad before, but it looks amazing now.

Only thing I don't like about the Fluvals is the output...I love the spraybar that the Filstars have.

Where can you get an FX5 for 180? PM me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts