Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 35g tank that is 9 mos old. Original fish: 2 aulonocara stuartgranti (male and female) approx 3 in, 1 OB male 3in, 1 moori 2in. Added 3 yellow labs 1.5 in about 2 months ago. Added 2 bristlenose pleco 3 weeks ago from Petsmart. DUMB MOVE, I know! My male flametail started flashing about two weeks ago. Assumed initially that he was showing off as it was about time for them to mate again. Now ALL fish are flashing, itching, breaking scales around their gills. All the research I could do made me assume they have either gill or skin fluke (though I can't visualize). Male flametail is in really rough shape. He is staying at the top by the filter nose up for three days now. All the other fish are irritable. I started treatment with PraziPro Monday (80% water change with heavy substrate cleaning & removed carbon and ammonia remover from filter-aquaclear 70 HOB) with no signs of the fish getting better. Water is testing fine so far: Temp: 24.3 C, Ammonia 0, Nitrates 0, Nitrite 0, pH 7.8, Alkalinity 180, total hardness 200. Fish are struggling and I don't know what else I can do. I have never experienced this before and can only treat by what I can find on the internet. I started treatment with salt and slowly increasing water temp to no avail, so I started treatment with PraziPro. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to treat my fish and hopefully save them. I am so worried! I can't find anywhere on a smart or tried & tested way to successfully treat flukes in cichlids. All my cichlid friends have never had the unfortunate event of dealing with it because they're smart enough to NOT go to chain stores for a pleco! PLEASE HELP!

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
What test kit are you using? You should have some level of nitrate in a cycled tank so I'm guessing the large water change may be why you have zero nitrate.

Any fish that is staying at the top with nose up is probably being harassed by the other fish. Do you have a hospital tank that you can move him to temporarily?

What are the dimensions of your tank? It's very possible the tank is too small for the fish you currently have stocked.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm on my phone and don't know how to post previous links to threads but if you search my post history you will see a post on how to cure this exact issue. I successfully wipes it out of my 125g tank and did not lose a single fish.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just copy/pasting this here.

Days:
1 - Remove any/all carbon, 50% water change with heavy gravel vac, add full dose of PraziPro on bottle for tank size.
2 - Add full dose PraziPro
3 - Do nothing
4 - Do nothing
5 - Do nothing
6 - Add full dose PraziPro
7 - Add full dose PraziPro
8 - 50% water change with heavy gravel vac.
14 - 50% water change with heavy gravel vac, add full dose Prazi
21 - 50% water change with heavy gravel vac, add full dose Prazi
28 - 50% water change with heavy gravel vac, add full dose Prazi
35 - 50% water change, heavy gravel vac and add carbon if you choose.

Make sure your water is well aerated during this process, add air stones/HOB if you have them to help.

Worked great and I did this with $800+ worth of fish.

You can only kill the parasites on the fish, not the eggs which is why you want to do heavy vac'ing. Suck out as many eggs as possible while killing the adults with PraziPro. This treatment targets the adults life cycle really well.

I hope this helps.

Also, I needed a 16oz bottle and it's cheapest on Amazon than most LFS so look there. If you don't have a large tank you may be able to get away with a 4oz but it's good to keep on hand.

Worked for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts