Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I some jack dempseys today and one of the fish is not a dempsey. I posted it in the unidentified section and it was said to be a flowerhorn. Not familiar with this type of cichlid. Can you give me any advice on this fish or conformation ?

·
Registered
803 Posts
A flowerhorn is hybrid fish. There are many theories on how they are made but usually some sort of amphilophus cross. Often Red Devil crossed with a Texas cichlid.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok here is my problem. i googled the flowerhorn cichlid and did a little research. the majority of the post were on here. So with that being said i dont want a battle on the evolution or whatever. I just would like some info from other owners or where to find those owners. thanks for the input so far.I just dont want to end up in an argument about its origins. :)

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Flippercon
feeling defensive? :)

clgkag has given you some useful info... you can use the info to read up on what you might be in for with your new pet.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I really appreciate all the Info . I just read a lot of post on here about flowerhorns and a lot became argument about origins and what not. I just wanted to put that out there before it turns out that way.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think, from what I have learned about flowerhorns, that what people are saying is that since they are derivatives of non-specific breeds it is virtually impossible to answer your questions. I am not being in any way argumentative. A great looking fish is a great looking fish, and like a work of art should be appreciated. But a work of art is not a precise thing. I know. I have to keep reminding myself this when I draw ------ I am only drawing and illlusion.

The best answer has been given. Treat it as a South American or Central American cichlid.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi Flippercon,

I have not kept a flowerhorn. However, based on ones seen in LFS and friends aquariums they are large growing (12"-16") aggressive cichlids. They seem to by typically kept in their own tank due to their aggression. However, I have seen them kept with other large growing cichlids from the Amphilophus genus in large tanks (200+).

Based on your cichlids black splotches down the body and above/behind the gill plate/eye I could see it having Cichlasoma trimaculatum ("Trimac") in its genetic makeup. I would look up that cichlid and treat yours accordingly.

There are other forums out there dedicated to flowerhorns where people could potentially help you out with your questions.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a 12" monster who died on me earlier this year.. They are VERY aggressive fish. I had mine alone in a 75G. Great personality though, a real glass banger! All he wanted to do was Eat and smash the glass at everyone but me. I now have 4 fry I am growing out, 1 of whom is a real stunner.

Here was my old dude who died.
http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo10 ... -10106.jpg
Jeremy

·
Registered
869 Posts
Mussin,

Thanks for sharing this pic, good looking fish. Too bad you lost it.

Relating back to the original post, it sounds like you have got some good information and I wish you luck. The only other thing I would add is that you often have to wait some time for this fish to color up so be patient with it. Also you should look into what to feed them, I have never had one so I am not going to get into this, but the diet can really enhance the color and other features. Hopefully somebody else will expand on this for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
also if you got the flowerhorn at dempsey prices, you got a steal. I see some juvenile flowerhorns at my LFS going for 60-100 bucks. It seems they always make up names for them though. Like "dragon red" flowerhorn and stuff like that. It's very hard for me to believe people can actually keep track of the strains though, since no one can really say what it derived from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts