Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed some behavior in the tank, but not sure the reason. Some of my cichlids are rubbing their bodies on the sand. They kind of flop on their sand and dive into the sand. What is this?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
We call the rubbing "flashing"...

Some is normal, especially following a water change, but if it's excessive, you might be dealing with some sort of problem.

The "diving" into the sand is somewhat worrisome. Are the hurting themselves? Going completely in the sand?

Kim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess its not really diving more like flopping onto the sand and it only is happening once in a while with the zebras. Both yellow and red.

·
Registered
242 Posts
like Kim said....some is normal...a lot might be a sign of a problem....
I remember seeing excessive "flashing" before outbreaks of ich and hole in the head....

keep a close eye on them for any other signs of illness, especially if the "flashing" continues

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
And monitor your water quality closely...

Abrupt changes in ph or increases levels of ammonia can cause this, as well.

Kim

·
Registered
721 Posts
At times it is just normal for them to scrape/rub themselves against the substrate or any other object in the tank trying to remove an...itch.....other times it is due to parasites on them causing the problem. I would suggest a medications to kill the parasites that may surely be developing in your tank and attacking the fish.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Matusallem said:
How do you recognize ich?

* that could be ich
Ich looks like grains of salt or sugar on the fish. They will usually flash against objects in the tank, also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts