Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw some weight support topics in this forum but i wasn't sure which topic i should ask this, so sorry to bother but since this is kind of related subject i thought it might be appropriate to ask in a separate topic.
i just built a small size music recording studio/booth out of plywood and 2 layers of drywall and with sound insulation vinyl in between the layers. the total size of the unit is 5'x8' in the base which actually sits on casters so that i can move it around if needed... i had to push it all the way to the corner of the room to have space in the rest of the bedroom and to have access to the patio door. i live on the 3rd floor apartment it's partially wood and concrete building was built around 1998. the approximate weight of wood and the drywalls i used so far is 840 pounds from my calculations. and the equipment that i have inside is around 150 pounds in total.
so looking at almost 1000 pound of load that sits in an area of 5'x8' on a 3rd floor apartment, is it safe enough to keep it this way or would it cause any damage by time? it's been 2 months so far since i finished building it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much, it doesn't weigh any more than a 125gal tank, and if I had to guess, I would think engineers probably figure in more of a safety factor into apartment buildings than they would in a single family home.

My only thought is that it would be better to have it sitting on 6 or 8 casters, instead of 4.

·
Registered
39 Posts
yes, remember that all that weight is not distributed across 5' x 8'.
all that weight is sitting on 4 small 1" points of contact where the castors touch the floor.
still, you could look at it as only 250lbs per point of contact which in an apartment would likely be o.k. as you probably don't have 100 year old hard wood floors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys,
there are bunch of casters as a matter of fact to be exact total of 16 of them under the whole base:) when i first built it there were only 8 and then the base started to bend on certain areas when i stepped on it, so i added 8 more...
it's fairly new condition building i think it should support this kind of weight. i think moving heavy furniture in a big bedroom like this would be almost as equal as my studio except the weight would have been distributed across the entire floor...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I gotta ask, the $64K question is when and if u move from ur 3rd floor abode how do u get ur creation out of said apartment? Just curious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's going to be a **** of unscrewing with my cordless(corded) drill:) everything that i used to build can be disassembled by unscrewing, i went thru 3 boxes of screws each containing 100 pieces:) while i was building the booth i couldnt keep up with batteries running out so i attached my cordless drill to a switching power supply with a cable too:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts