Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have white top afra haras in a 100 gallon tank but want to add some yellow. I am set on the flavus or lion's cove. Which would you stock?

·
Super Moderator
40,890 Posts
Yellow labs because the females are colorful, as opposed to the flavus.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
If you mean Cynotilapia "Lions Cove" you probably should go for the Flavus since the Lion's Cove should be closer related to the Hara, so with the Flavus there might be less competition between males or courting females of the other species. With those fish there is no guarantee that all the males would color up fully.

Yellow Labs would be even less related, and no worry about BB males competing with each other for dominance. More color, maybe more boring. It depends on what you want.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
noki said:
If you mean Cynotilapia "Lions Cove" you probably should go for the Flavus since the Lion's Cove should be closer related to the Hara, so with the Flavus there might be less competition between males or courting females of the other species. With those fish there is no guarantee that all the males would color up fully.

Yellow Labs would be even less related, and no worry about BB males competing with each other for dominance. More color, maybe more boring. It depends on what you want.
I want something a little more unique than the yellow lab to be honest.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
HKistler13 said:
noki said:

So did you want the Cynotilapia "Lions Cove"? I understand that you want something different from the monochromic common Yellow Lab. You just have to be aware that both the Hara and a yellow BB Mbuna may or may not color up fully. The yellow Zebra might intimidate the Hara, or the Hara might remain dominant and the Zebra wouldn't show much color, or they may ignore each other and both look fine. Cichlids are fun, they are not simple and completely predictable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
noki said:
HKistler13 said:
noki said:

So did you want the Cynotilapia "Lions Cove"? I understand that you want something different from the monochromic common Yellow Lab. You just have to be aware that both the Hara and a yellow BB Mbuna may or may not color up fully. The yellow Zebra might intimidate the Hara, or the Hara might remain dominant and the Zebra wouldn't show much color, or they may ignore each other and both look fine. Cichlids are fun, they are not simple and completely predictable.
I was thinking to get the cynotilapia but I totally agree with your statement!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts