Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have one of each in my tank, and the flavus refuses to color up. Would the elongatus be the issue? The flavus was introduced maybe 2 weeks ago.[/u]

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Probably could be. I assume you are saying that the Elongatus is colored up. Flavus are quite similar to many of the fish in the so called Elongatus group. It is my impression that Flavus are not always easy to get to color up, unless others have had different experiences.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When i got it, the selling point was it's great colors. When I got it in the tank, it got dull and brown. I removed my bumble bee cichlids 4 days ago. and yes the Elongatus is colored up.

·
Registered
901 Posts
How big is the tank? I've always had multiple colored up males in my 4 ft. tanks where they have some room to spread out.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a 55 gallon with around 60 lbs of rock. It holds the Elongatus, flavus, 3 yellow labs, an acei and an unidentified possible rusty that's going in another tank. 1 syno Petra and 2 syno multi crosses but i don't think they'd matter. Would adding some female flavus help him color up?

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Is it one of the yellow elongatus? Probably best if you choose mixed gender or all-male. Are you sure the flavus is a male?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Elongatus is not yellow, and the flavus was colored up when I got him. Not like the one on the species page but brighter than my bumble bees.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Those are the joys of an all-male tank...you can never tell. Try removing the elongatus and see if the flavus colors up.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Flavus is part of the Elongatus group so your Flavus, if it is a male is not coloring up because of the Elongatus. That and the Elongatus is larger and/or more aggressive than the Flavus.
I have NEVER had a problem with Flavus coloring up and I have been keeping them for the better part of 20 years.
I would not keep both in the same tank.
Go with the Flavus, great fish.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree with the previous posts. Flavus' are nice and the other Elongatus is probably more dominant. Put the Flavus in the other tank and tape a mirror to the side of it. He will think it's another male. See if he colors up at his reflextion. If you dont want to remove the fish there is a trick you can try. Tape a mirror at one end of the tank and another mirror on the other end. The dominant elongatus will see his reflection as a male of his kind and spend a lot of time trying to fight his reflection. The Flavus will look at the other mirror at some time and see another male of his kind. He will look at it strangly at first and then take it as a threat. If he begins to fight his reflection and you see him color up you know it's a male and he is just not confident yet. If he fights the reflection and don't color up ...it's a female. If he was colored in the store but not after this trick it may mean he was hormoned. Females can look like males when on hormones. But it usualy takes longer than 2 weeks once on a normal diet to look dull again. Also make sure he's eating. But my guess too is he's not dominant. He is of the elongatus family too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts