Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small Acei about 2 inches long. She's not eating today, and I notice her breathingfast and flashing often. She's one of 26 fish from the tank in my signature, all juveniles, the largest fish is 3 Inches. Everyone else is acting normally for now. Because of the flashing I didn't want to assume bloat right away. Would appreciate any ideas you might have.

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, PH 8.2

·
Registered
525 Posts
The first thing I would suspect is that the fish is stressed out, possibly being bullied by another fish
How long has the tank been setup and how long have those fish been together

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I added the first fish in March of this year, and this Acei was one of the last batch. She's been in the tank for 2 weeks, and was quarantined before that. There is some aggression in the tank mainly from the male Yellow Lab trying really hard to convince the females to spawn with him, but the Acei seem to have it easiest for now. I know aggression is sometimes not noticeable, so i won't rule that out completely.

The only other thing I noticed was the fish sometimes looks as if it's trying to cough or spit something out.

·
Registered
525 Posts
That could possibly be a sign of Bloat
Do you notice if the fish has long white stringy poop
if it does then it could be bloat
i would isolate the fish to a med tank if possible and watch closely, and if it takes food in and spits it out then its probably bloat and needs to be treated immediately

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks plug,
I didn't notice any stringy poop. Two days ago when I first noticed the problem, I dipped the fish in methylene blue, and released her back into the tank, mainly because of how she was breathing. She gradually perked up since then, ate a few bits of food yesterday, but spat out the larger pellets. Today she ate normally and is swimming around with her tribe again. Thanks for your help.

I've never had to deal with bloat yet, so i was a bit worried. I'm thankful that everything looks good now, no flashing or anything. But will keep a close eye.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out
Bloat is nasty...sometimes treatment works, sometimes not

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.