Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
41,646 Posts
I like 12 males in a 75G that mature <= six inches to manage aggression in an all-male tank.

Post your test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for both your tap and your tank. Invest in the API master freshwater test kit with liquid reagents and test tubes. Is bi-weekly 2X per month or 2X per week?

I would sort out your stocking and rehome fish from other lakes and continents. The frontosa, the barred fish and the fairy cichlid.

I would remove duplicates and fish that look alike. One of the red peacocks, one of the electric blues (is this fryeri?)

The flashing does not sound excessive to me (my males flash as a way of showing off) but once all the meds are out of the water for a month their skin will probably be less irritated. Why do you need the marine salt?

You need a hospital tank and/or a quarantine tank to keep new fish for 3 weeks before adding to the main tank.

Yes it is safe to buy 5 males at a time, but quarantine them. Put the new fish in the quarantine tank and remove the 5 you are going to rehome after the 3 weeks is up so the bioload remains the same.

Or you could move the 5 males you are keeping into the quarantine tank and buy 8 to put in the main tank since it is cycled to support 9 fish. Then add back the 5 original males after the 3 week quarantine.

You can stock the entire tank at once if you cycle with ammonia because you add enough ammonia to simulate a full tank of fish. You chose a different method and it can work as well.

Selections for new fish? You have a red and yellow peacock. You need a blue one and if you can also get turkis...the light blue is different enough to work. Stick to stuartgranti species because the peacocks you have are timid. Some people find a red shoulder works with another blue, and I have had success with both a yellow like the sunshine as well as a usisya. That's four.

The fryeri is not a timid hap. He might or might not work with your peacocks. Fish can lose color due to dominance, it is not always sickness. Haps to consider? Placidochromis electra. Protomelas marginatus. Copadichromis azureus. Otopharynx tetrastigma if you decide to swap out the fryeri.

You have the yellow lab. You could do a breeding group of them or keep him as a single and get an acei.

·
Administrator
41,646 Posts
Do not add fish. Allows you to skip the visit to the LFS for extra safety. I would divide the tank until you can get a hospital tank and do the rehoming. Put the more aggressive fryeri on one side and anyone else who is chasing.

Change the water every 7 days...work up to 50% as a minimum regardless of the nitrates. Stop adding the marine salt. Lower temp to 78...yes. I would not rearrange the tank...that can be bad just as often as it is good.

Sounds like a lot of food. Skip the brine and just feed the pellets.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.