Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed when I cleaned out my canister lastnight and I turned it back on the cloud of white gunk came out of the spray bar and was all over for a bit. As soon as that happened I noticed a few of my fish starting flashing all over the place.

Is that common? Something with all funk in the hoses?

·
Registered
554 Posts
sounds like a buildup of salts - do you add bicarb and english salts to your aquarium? They precipitate out, sometimes, and can build up in a filter tube. Releasing it has it dissolve again.
This would lead to a sudden change in hardness, and would be seen as flashing fishies.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope no salts. Have naturally hard water here so.no need to buffer. Added epsom salt one time like a few months ago but that's it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
This happened to me with the white stuff. After some research I determined it to be a good bacteria build up that clumped in the lines and were then dislodged after a rush of water came through when turning the filter back on. My fish didn't flash however.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rgr4475 said:
This happened to me with the white stuff. After some research I determined it to be a good bacteria build up that clumped in the lines and were then dislodged after a rush of water came through when turning the filter back on. My fish didn't flash however.
That's kinda what I figured it was. Just weird how like 4-5 fish all started flashing like 10 seconds after. They only flashed for like a minute or two but just made me wonder. Maybe that is the fiberglass insulation of the fish world. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I get that with every water change unless I also remove/rinse the hoses. Does not seem to bother the fish and the filter soon sucks it up again.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
It can be annoying. About twice a year I'll take the canister off the tank and substitute a bucket of weak warm water/bleach and run the canister with it for a few hours, cleans all the hoses out nicely. Run it again with clean water/dechlor for an hour or two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts