Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here. Posted this over at the shellie forum, but I don't think it gets as much traffic. Anyway, I am currently cycling a 29 gallon tank for multis and am in the nitrite peak.

I've now turned my attention to fixing my water as the tank finishes cycling. My house runs on a rainwater catchment system and water out of the tap is pH = 6.4, kH=0, Gh=0. I buffer my other freshwater tanks with Seachem Equilibrium and run crushed coral in the filters. That seems to work fine for them.

The tank I'm cycling for the multis has aragonite sand as the substrate and I am running crushed coral in the filter. The resulting parameters are:
pH = 8.0
Gh = 6
Kh = 3

I have Seachem Tanganyika buffer and cichlid salt being shipped to me as we speak. What parameters should I be trying to get for my future multi colony? Anything else I should be concerned with, considering I have such "blank" water?

·
Registered
661 Posts
My water comes from a desalination plant but the water company adds sodium hydroxide so from the tap my water is pH=6.7 to 6.8, kH=0, Gh=0. For my tank water my recipe is:

per 20 gallons of tap water:
1 cup epsom salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon Seachem Cichlid Lake Salt

The water in my tank is:
pH = 7.9
kH = 7
gH = 12

·
Registered
661 Posts
My tap water also has Zinc Orthophosphate (anti-corrive) and of course chlorine, and my tanks have a lot of sea coral rocks (calcium carbonate) in them. Not sure what potential difference this might make. So hopefully you can test & work out a good recipe for your water. Nowadays I only periodically test the pH since I've seen some variation of my pH at the tap in the past. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts