Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a socofoli <spell check in a tank that I am going to donate somwhere? Its a 30 gallon in my sons room. I have a line on a breeding group of Rustys, some will go in my 110 gal the rest in the 30 for the time being till I weed out and sell some.
Question is if I take the one fish out how long will the tank stay balanced? Do I still do some minor water changes to keep things in check or what? A lot depends on when I will get the Rustys some are little guys some are 2 years old and the Socofoli is still in the tank. Just curious what I need to do?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Should be OK for a week without a fish. Note that 6 rusties will cause a problem for a tank that had 1 socolofi in it anyway. The bacteria grow to support the bioload of the fish.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I kept a tank cycled for a while with some shrimp a while back. I bought 20 or so of the 30 cent ghost shrimp from petsmart and kept them in the tank for about a month when I didn't have any fish in it. The new fish that I added made short work of them pretty quickly so I didn't have to do any re-homing ;-)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts