Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's my 1st post:(by the way,I am new to this )
I am currently attempting a fish less cycle.
I will be using pure ammonia (10%) grade.
I have cichlid sand as a substrate w/ the beneficial bacteria .(it came wet and sealed)
I will be using a bio wheel from a tank that is up and running.
The tank is ten gallons.
My question is, how do I calculate the 5ppm that I need for this 10 gal. tank since I don't have a test that will read accurately to that range?
I will be using a Marineland Penguin 100B Power Filter
My best guess with the math I did is .2 of a cubic centimeter.
Lets see what all you fine folks have to say
Thanks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
well for a 10 gallon tank, if you already have a cycled filter than you do not need to use ammo to cycle it... :?

the reason you use the ammo if for new filters that do not have any beneficial bacteria build up. so if your filter is already good then that tank should be good. also a tank that small is easy since you can do daily water changes until it can catch up.

BUT if you want to be on the safe side, add .5 tsp of ammo to the tank. for 2 days. then wait about 5 days, do a 50% WC and it should be good to go. this would reinforce the filter and make sure it wont have any ammo spikes from fish and waste.

also what is going in the tank??? 10g is small so just wondering. :fish:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The purpose of this exercise was to basically was to prove my local fish store wrong..(lol).(I got the rolled eyes and was told fishless cycle was a myth)and to prove to myself it works/don't work
but to answer your question...I have 1 young green terror about to come out of a 5 gal hospital tank and I'm going to let him stretch his fins a little when hes all better.
Thanks for your help, My fish and I appreciate it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh ya, by the way....how did you come up with .5 tsp of ammo. ?
I am curious...as I am more than likely going to be setting up more and larger tanks in the future.
(I have the tendencies to jump into things with both feet) :D

·
Registered
830 Posts
just a guesstamite....

you would need a test kit to make sure but you want to get the 4-5ppm ammo. i used a cap full in my 75g tank and it went to 9ppm. so it is very little needed. and a little everyday to maintain the level to build the filter. i would say 1ml per 10g. roughly.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
My question is, how do I calculate the 5ppm that I need for this 10 gal. tank since I don't have a test that will read accurately to that range?
I wouldn't use 5ppm, it's too much, but to answer your question, add enough drops to bring it up to 1ppm (which is easily read/measured) and then X 5.

I used a weak Walmart brand and my formula was 20 drops to raise a 10 gallon to 1ppm. So, just start with 10 drops or so and measure after about 15 minutes.

The purpose of this exercise was to basically was to prove my local fish store wrong..(lol).(I got the rolled eyes and was told fishless cycle was a myth)
Sounds like someone who hasn't read anything on fish keeping in a number of years. Some things hold in this hobby for a long time, but there's always room to learn new things. Oddly enough, this seems to be the trend with fish shops. Very few seem to know much about or promote fishless cycling. PFK mag recently recruited a bunch of volunteers to contact shops in the UK and ask about cycling a tank. A very low percentage recommended fishless. I'm sure it'd be the same in the US.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews/vi ... php?id=317 (its on this forum under product reviews)
follow the link...refridge -less bio spira???hum...only if I could find it.nothing on Marinelands site...
Only found the cold stuff in which must be over-nighted which = 2 much money. :eek:

'Lil help here...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oops, i put that last post in the wrong spot...n e way...
yesterday i was around 3 ppm...this morning 0 ammoinia and .3 ppm nitrite...spiked the tank again with ammo.lets see tomorrow what my reading are

1 - 8 of 8 Posts