Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its in the title, on another fourm *** been told to use safestart, as it works reall well.

On the other hand im just not sure what to do, the fishless cycle or use safestart.

Anymore advice?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd do fishless. It has worked very well for me.

Do you have a friend with an established tank? If so you could get some established media from him...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wont be able to get my hands on mature media, no friends that own fish and sold my fish in my last tank before moving so starting fresh with mbuna.

I hear this safestart is amazing, throw it in your tank when you buy the fish and they are in the bags adapting to the water. And immediately you have an established colony of bacteria.

Somehow i think this is slighty wrong.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Somehow i think this is slighty wrong.
And slightly risky. What you could do is add the 'safe start', and then add the ammonia source that you mentioned in the other thread and then give it a day and test for ammonia/nitrite. If both are 0, then it does what it claims, but if not, then be glad you didn't add fish. You can then continue cycling fishless, and hopefully the 'safe start' will at least shorten the cycling time.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes it sounds really risky indeed.

I just dont get it lol, i dont know how i can expect a bottle of beneficial bacteria to immediately colonize bacteria, and when you add it does it immediately turn ammonia into nitrite and both levels then dropping to 0 then nitrate appearing. Which is then time to do the water change to get the nitrate levels down.

I like the idea of adding it to the water once *** set up, then add 3ppm of ammonia and test if nitrite appears the next day or even later that night, and finnally see those two figures drop to 0.

Weird imo.

Can anyone clarify results with this safestart product.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I use Safestart with all my new tank setups and usually I'm fully cycled in about 5 days. Occasionally you get a dud bottle because it may have been exposed to extreme temperatures that killed all the bacteria.

You can still do a fishless cycle with Safestart, so you don't stress your fish at all. Instead of 30 days you should cycle in about 5.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I used a similar product. Cycled a new 20g tank in about a week. The one I used was Seachem's Stability. For this product you treat the tank daily for a week according to the label.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Oh and the label says to shake the bottle. From what I researched everywhere really shake that bottle good. It should be frothy with air little bubbles when you pour it out. That way you know it is mixed well. I also dosed my tank by pouring the liquid directly into the intake of my filter.

·
Registered
453 Posts
As prov356 mentioned - why not do both. Add the beneficial bacteria and the ammonia for a fishless cycle and measure ammonia and nitrite - when you can add the ammonia and in 24 hours have no ammonia and no nitrite you're ready to add some fish.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok this is starting to sound like a plan then, i will ofcourse be posting a new topic when i come to do it, so i can keep track and get help when needed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DrTim's said:
As prov356 mentioned - why not do both. Add the beneficial bacteria and the ammonia for a fishless cycle and measure ammonia and nitrite - when you can add the ammonia and in 24 hours have no ammonia and no nitrite you're ready to add some fish.
yea thats what im going to do buddy.

what you mean in that sentence, its a bit muddled lol.

" and measure ammonia and nitrite - when you can add the ammonia and in 24 hours have no ammonia and no nitrite you're ready to add some fish "

ofcourse there has to be nitrate there though when ammonia and nitrite dissapear?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
He means, after you've added the bacteria and ammonia, continue testing for ammonia and nitrite.
If ammonia levels start droping, keep dosing ammonia to keep levels around 1-2ppm. When you're ammonia goes from ~2ppm to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in 24 hours you can add fish. And yes, you should have nitrate.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so make sure i keep adding ammonia or the cycle will die, untill i get nitrate.
what do i do if want to keep the cycle going, incase i cant get the fish on time or something comes up.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
aaronjunited said:
so make sure i keep adding ammonia or the cycle will die, untill i get nitrate.
what do i do if want to keep the cycle going, incase i cant get the fish on time or something comes up.
Keep adding ammonia. It'll simulate a fish load.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I like to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate before adding my ammonia. This way I have a baseline.

Then I add my ammonia, test again to see how high it went, should be about 3-5 ppm.

Finally I test ammonia daily, before adding. I wait until the ammonia goes down, then start testing for nitrite, once the nitrite goes down I test for nitrate and ensure it is sky high as compared to the baseline.

Then you really know you are cycled.

With help from established media my filters cycled in about 10 days.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I needed to set up a tank and relocate some 30 fish on the quick last year. I added water to a 210G let it run for 24 hours then added all the fish at once with one bottle of SafeStart. The guy at the LFS told me I needed two bottles but I felt how could you tell how much bacteria was needed in advance without knowing the size of the bioload.

I also added a handful of bioballs from an established tank into the sump. When I say a handful we are talking a dozen or less even. Never saw a spike and noone died. In three days I was measuring trAtes.

All I can say is it worked for me and if Dr. Tim's is the same stuff you cannot go wrong with either one. If you want to mess with dosing ammonia, I have stated in the past why waste your hard earned cash on bottled bacteria and just go fishless cycle. After all half the fun is getting there. If you follow directions on the bottle no where does it state " Add amonia".

Just my 2 cents FWIW and I must also add YMMV.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I almost forgot about a product called Start OK. I usually don't think of it because it's only available in the UK. But, that'll work for you. It's the first one that I'm aware of to include the ammonia you need with the product. Dr. Tim's is the other. Hats off to these guys :thumb: Here's a review of Start OK from Practical Fishkeeping Magazine.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts