Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Do a water change to cut the ammonia down to 1-2ppm. Don't add more until it drops to 0.

Have you made any changes to the system in any way since the cycle began, changed substrate, changed filter media?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got the reading of about 5.0 the first day. Didnt think to add more until its drops and the nitrate spikes. I didnt make any changes to the system since i began. But started from scratch no media from another source and no other forms to speed up the process.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Just curious whats your temp and PH at?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
60gallon said:
Just curious whats your temp and PH at?
That would be the next thing to check, yes. Low pH or temp could inhibit the cycling process. 17 days is an untypically long time for ammonia not to have dropped even without seeding.

Didnt think to add more until its drops and the nitrate spikes.
That's correct. You shouldn't add more ammonia until it drops to 0. At that time, you'll see nitrite spiking.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Temp is fine....PH is a little low but you still should be fine for the cycling process. You can try adding soda ash or baking soda to raise the PH and see if it helps. Maybe also try dropping the temp to 84-86.

Good luck!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm in the same boat with my fishless cycle but I had to do a 100 % water change after one week in because when I shimmed my tank to level it, I inadvertantly was knocking it back to the wall. Then two weeks later when I went to add an HOB I noticed my tank was too close to the wall. So now just waiting for the nitrites to spike. Nothing else to do-this is biology at it's most basic but... :?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
prov356 said:
Do a water change to cut the ammonia down to 1-2ppm. Don't add more until it drops to 0.

Have you made any changes to the system in any way since the cycle began, changed substrate, changed filter media?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wrote a post earlier about fishless cycling. You responded to that post. Initally i added to much ammonia, then as your suggestion I did a water change. Ammonia level dropped to 1-2ppm which was great. But *** been stuck there for 15 or so days now with no sign of nitrite. Temp 85-ph 8.0-water movement good. Fluval fx5 filter, 120 gallon tank. Not sure what to do now,any suggestions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No changes were made at all. At this point I'm not sure what to do. Maybe wait it out 5 more days and then do something different.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If I understand, it's been 15 days since the water change that dropped ammonia to 1-2ppm? If so, I'd give it just a few more days. It's a bit long, but I'd wait it out just a bit more. Post back in a few days if still nothing has changed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts