Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

my new 120G has been cycling for about a month now and it is oh soooo close... It is currently cycling through 2ppm of ammonia in 36 hrs and the resulting nitrites in 48hrs. When the ammonia reaches 0, I wait for the nitrites to drop to 0 as well before adding more ammonia.

I can't wait for the cycle to be done as I talked to my LFS and they have almost all the fish I am looking for in stock. I am hoping to be done by next weekend. :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
Definitely sounds like it should be any day now

·
Super Moderator
2,023 Posts
There is no need to do a 100% water change once your cycle is complete and before you add fish. The reason to do a partial water change is only to keep the nitrate level low at the end of the cycle, usually 5ppm up to 20ppm.

Check out the FAQ section of the Fishless Cycling article in my signature.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Let's modify your suggestion a little, @Kwik-3-Mart: If you've read any of Senor Strums diatribes on "Just keep adding ammonia, that's how it works," you quite likely have enough nitrogen in that tank to make a quarter-stick of dynamite. In this case, you should probably do a 100% water change. If you've been following more traditional (Sane) advice, @Deeda is right and you may not need such a big one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let's modify your suggestion a little, @Kwik-3-Mart: If you've read any of Senor Strums diatribes on "Just keep adding ammonia, that's how it works," you quite likely have enough nitrogen in that tank to make a quarter-stick of dynamite. In this case, you should probably do a 100% water change. If you've been following more traditional (Sane) advice, @Deeda is right and you may not need such a big one.
I have tried to follow the process described in the FAQ, where i added ammonia to 2ppm, then wait until i got a level of 0ppm and then added more ammonia back to 2ppm. The first time it reached 0 ammonia, i tesyer the nitrites. If nitrites were above 5ppm, i did a small water change to bring them down to 2ppm and then added the ammonia back to 2ppm.
I followed that process for the last month. Over the last week, i have waited for the nitrities to drop to 0 before adding the ammonia back to 2ppm.

In the past, i have always done big water changes at the end of the cycling but after reading the FAQ, i am rethinking that and considering doing multiple smaller changes.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you don't have fish in the tank, honestly, for the life of me I can't think of why you wouldn't drain the ol' tank and fill 'er back up. I see only waste and inefficiency with multiple smaller changes. I have been known to be very wrong though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
FWIW I always end up doing a 50-75% water change before stocking, whatever it takes to stock at 5ppm or less

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah. I've been guilty of doing this water change while floating new fish :ROFLMAO:
LOL... that is multi-tasking right there: acclimating fish and doing the water change. Very impressive.

I will most likely do a 90% water change as the bogwood in the tank is still leeching tannins and the water in the tank right now looks like tea/light coffee, so it would be nice to have clear water for a couple of days when I get the fish in. I know the fish don't care, but I would like to actually be able to see them. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
If possible put a 5/8 lbs of Oil-dri/Safe T-Sorb/baked kitty litter in a mesh bags anywhere in your sump (if you have) or somewhere in your aquarium (if possible). Dump all fish together you don't need to cycle. I have 2 BCBs and I don't cycle my tanks anymore. My fishless cycle tests I did in sep last year when it was not even needed (i found out later) I overdosed Ammonia and was not expecting this :
Fluid Gesture Finger Font Thumb
Liquid Fluid Yellow Finger Font

Fluid Cuisine Gas Composite material Plant

·
Registered
280 Posts
If possible put a 5/8 lbs of Oil-dri/Safe T-Sorb/baked kitty litter in a mesh bags anywhere in your sump (if you have) or somewhere in your aquarium (if possible). Dump all fish together you don't need to cycle. I have 2 BCBs and I don't cycle my tanks anymore. My fishless cycle tests I did in sep last year when it was not even needed (i found out later) I overdosed Ammonia and was not expecting this :
Can you tell us more? It seems like you're saying that if you put kitty litter in there, you don't need to cycle the tank? I'm not at all sure this is the case, so I'm probably missing something...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Can you tell us more? It seems like you're saying that if you put kitty litter in there, you don't need to cycle the tank? I'm not at all sure this is the case, so I'm probably missing something...
I am also new to this this wonderful hobby. Started mid april last year with conventional knowledge, bio-media/tank cycling/etc. I stumbled upon an interview of Dr. Kevin Novak on pectec's YT channel about Anoxic filtration. I liked the concept and built all 3 of my aquariums around it. The pics that I posted of 8ppm ammonia getting wiped out in 48 hours was a big surprise to me as well as at that time all I had read online was 4/5PPM ammonia takes 1 week to get down to 0 in the first week of cycling! Few weeks ago I built a new tank and moved all 15 mid sized mbunas/10 giant danios to the tank with all new water and 100% washed substrate in tap water (No old bacteria left) and the 2 BCBs I have. No cycling done. I saw no ammonia spikes nothing. When I asked the inventor I was told "this is normal" with Anoxic filtration. Clay eats up ammonia like a pro. I still don't know how the system truly works but I am happy with the results till now. I have no commercial bio-media in my filters except some sponge/foam.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The tank I have sold goes to my friend's place. I will do the same. No cycling. 1 BCB, new filter, new substrate/decor and all fish go in one go.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am also new to this this wonderful hobby. Started mid april last year with conventional knowledge, bio-media/tank cycling/etc. I stumbled upon an interview of Dr. Kevin Novak on pectec's YT channel about Anoxic filtration. I liked the concept and built all 3 of my aquariums around it. The pics that I posted of 8ppm ammonia getting wiped out in 48 hours was a big surprise to me as well as at that time all I had read online was 4/5PPM ammonia takes 1 week to get down to 0 in the first week of cycling! Few weeks ago I built a new tank and moved all 15 mid sized mbunas/10 giant danios to the tank with all new water and 100% washed substrate in tap water (No old bacteria left) and the 2 BCBs I have. No cycling done. I saw no ammonia spikes nothing. When I asked the inventor I was told "this is normal" with Anoxic filtration. Clay eats up ammonia like a pro. I still don't know how the system truly works but I am happy with the results till now. I have no commercial bio-media in my filters except some sponge/foam.
That is interesting, but ammonia is only the first step in the cycling process. When the clay "eats up" the ammonia, does it convert it into nitrites or just capture the ammonia, meaning that there is no need for the nitrification bacteria?

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,901 Posts
What about the fact that there is LOTS of oxygen in our freshwater tanks?

Reactions: Rockfella

·
Registered
73 Posts
What about the fact that there is LOTS of oxygen in our freshwater tanks?
Despite all the DIY I doubt I have been able to create anoxic zones in my aquariums TBH. I'll try to mod/dig more and get back. I'm happy with it so far. It's not an exacting science and I've probably made some mistakes as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts