Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
@awesomismmama , which brand/type cichlid substrate do you have and which rocks are you using? Also which cichlid salt are you using and how much are you adding before or after a water change?

Sorry to derail your thread when I asked how you do water changes.

It sounds like your older tank has a steady 7.6 pH and your planned new cichlid tank varies in pH when you add new water, correct?

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
No problem and nice looking tank.

Do you remember if it was the CaribSea African Cichlid Mix in white or the Eco-Complete Cichlid in white? Either way it doesn't really matter as both substrates are meant to raise or maintain pH and alkalinity in your aquarium.

IME, I tested my tap water (well water) for hardness (GH) and alkalinity (KH) and use the API GH and KH test kits to do so. This can give you a handle on what your tap water parameters are so you need to know IF you need to add buffers such as Seachem Cichlid Lake Salt which is what I assume you are adding to your tank, correct?

I'm not a fan of altering my tap water to suit specific species of fish so with MY tap water parameters, it is suitable for most Lake Malawi and Lake Tanganyika cichlids and my pH is around 7.4 to 7.6.

You can follow @SenorStrum advice and not worry about the difference in pH and do water changes as normal OR you can perform a slightly smaller water change and see what the pH values are. Do keep a written record of the frequency and percentage of water changed and the test results afterward PLUS once you get your fish, watch their behavior to see how they are acting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts