Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm starting a new tank (75g) and I've been reading everything I can on cycling. I noticed there are some differences between the article about it here in the library & the instructions on Dr. Tim's aquatics site. I read the one there because I bought my ammonia from there. Anyway, my questions are, will either of these methods get the same results and what do you guys think about using a bottle bacteria with the cycle? I have stability on hand that I bought before all this research. It seems there are several ways to do this. But is one better than the others? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Dr. Tim's was widely recommended here when Dr. Tim owned the company and the product was sold refrigerated.

More recent products are not as successful. In general I think the current wisdom is to cycle with ammonia and not bother with the bottled products.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Angels Plus has seeded filters that I used to cycle my first tank. They are reputable breeders that I would trust to get seeded filters from. Since that original tank I am keeping sponge filters in my tanks in case needs to set up extra tanks. Just my personal experience as I see so many frustrated people going through fishless cycling.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I've used the bottled bacteria when it was refrigerated, when it wasn't refrigerated and fishless cycled just with ammonia. Time for cycling has been pretty much the same in all cases. I think the bottled bacteria is a waste of money.

The only thing I've found that sped things up was to squeeze a sponge filter from a cycled tank by the intake of the canister in the uncycled tank. Doing so cut the cycling time in half, if not to a third of the other methods.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My LFS squeezed one their filter sponges into a bag for me.

·
Registered
783 Posts
zimmy said:
... The only thing I've found that sped things up was to squeeze a sponge filter from a cycled tank by the intake of the canister in the uncycled tank. Doing so cut the cycling time in half, if not to a third of the other methods.
:thumb:

When I'm setting a new tank, I'll typically take an sponge filter out of an existing tank that's up and running and squeeze it out into the water of the new tank until the water clouds up pretty good..

Also toss sponge filter media for the new tank into an existing tank usually well prior to filling the new tank, to pre-populate it with beneficial bacteria.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts