Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much ammonia do i add to a 72 bow when starting a fishless cycle ? I have pure Ammonia from Ace hardware store i read on the web where they said 4 to 5 dtops for every 10 gallons is this to much ? help plz

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I went with that formula for my 180g and it seemed to be fine. After 24 hrs my ammonia was around 3ppm. Just check your ammonia the next day and if it's too low, add a little more to around 2ppm if it's too high don't add ammonia for a couple of days to bring it down some.

Also remember to check your PH during cycling and make sure it doesn't drop too low because in can inhibit the cycling process. Found that out on my GF's community tank that I wasn't buffering.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
donal said:
Fishless cycling is the process of cycling a tank, or establishing a biological filter in a fishless aquarium.The biological filter, or nitrogen cycle, naturally occurs over the first 4-6 weeks after a tank is set up. Cycling a tank is necessary to keep the water free of pollutants and the fish healthy, but while the filter is establishing itself, fish are exposed to toxic levels of ammonia and nitrite and often succumb to disease and death. Fishless cycling removes fish from harm by establishing the biological filter before fish are introduced to the aquarium.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-fishless-cycling.htm

I think he/she is aware of what fishless cycling is.

·
Registered
211 Posts
no no no use this. way easier i just cycled my 90 gallon tank by using this calculator. scroll to the bottom and plug your numbers in. i did 3ppm for ammonia 5ppm is kinda high. and then put in the percent ammonia and youll get however much ammonia you have

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
adam0444 said:
no no no use this. way easier i just cycled my 90 gallon tank by using this calculator. scroll to the bottom and plug your numbers in. i did 3ppm for ammonia 5ppm is kinda high. and then put in the percent ammonia and youll get however much ammonia you have

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm
That's a pretty cool and useful calculator. It should be a sticky.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the help

·
Read Only
0 Posts
rgr4475 said:
I went with that formula for my 180g and it seemed to be fine. After 24 hrs my ammonia was around 3ppm. Just check your ammonia the next day and if it's too low, add a little more to around 2ppm if it's too high don't add ammonia for a couple of days to bring it down some.

Also remember to check your PH during cycling and make sure it doesn't drop too low because in can inhibit the cycling process. Found that out on my GF's community tank that I wasn't buffering.
Mine did that that after one day of cycling. PH dropped like a rock.... Add some baking soda from the rift lake buffer recipe and was able to bring it back up today. Had to add some epsom salt and non-iodized salt to bring the KH and GH back up too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've started my first fishless cycle last Friday, April 29th. Raise ammonia to 4ppm, added Dr Tims Aquatics One and Only, checked ammonia everyday and added to keep ammonia at 3-4ppm. Started to see Nitrite (.25ppm) and Nitrates (20ppm)on May 1st. On May 2nd, Nitrites went high, off the chart, and have remained there, Nitrates at 40ppm. Didn't add any ammonia yesterday or today, ammonia reading is at zero. Did 30% WC with well water, nitrites still high, ammonia 0 and nitrates at 20. What am I doing wrong???? Any help is appreciated...thanks

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
agm008 said:
I've started my first fishless cycle last Friday, April 29th. Raise ammonia to 4ppm, added Dr Tims Aquatics One and Only, checked ammonia everyday and added to keep ammonia at 3-4ppm. Started to see Nitrite (.25ppm) and Nitrates (20ppm)on May 1st. On May 2nd, Nitrites went high, off the chart, and have remained there, Nitrates at 40ppm. Didn't add any ammonia yesterday or today, ammonia reading is at zero. Did 30% WC with well water, nitrites still high, ammonia 0 and nitrates at 20. What am I doing wrong???? Any help is appreciated...thanks
Not doing anything wrong. You nitrites have spiked which is good and I would bet they will start to drop pretty soon. Don't worry about nitrates until both ammonia and nitrites hit 0. Keep adding ammonia and test.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I know I'm going to get some sponge mud out my uncle Eheim when he get ready to clean it . Thanks everybody for all the help .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts