Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
It may not have been fully cycled. How much ammonia did you add?
Sounds like you added a little more ammonia than what the bio-load could handle.

Wait for day- do another test. Then add the same amount of ammonia the next day and test after 24 hours. Your tank will eventually get there.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
MandyBlue said:
Yesterday my Nitrites were at 0, did the big water change, and now tonight they are back up to 1. Any ideas? :-?

Also, the tank is not eating all the ammonia either.
  • :x
I warn about this all the time. Large water changes at the end of a cycle can cause setbacks. I've seen it myself and so have others, now you also. Fortunately, the spike will be small and brief, at least IME. At the end of cycle do a series of small, partial water changes, not a massive one. The bacteria that convert ammonia and nitrite haven't yet the defenses of a fully formed biofilm. Treat your new bacteria colony as a fragile, living thing. If you wouldn't do a massive water change on a delicate fish, don't do it to your bacteria colony. Later when the tank is fully established, large water won't be a problem, at least to the bacteria. Test over the next couple days and you should find you're back to 0 levels again. I learned the hard way too. I figured I had done something to mess things up and didn't blame the water change, but then others started reporting the same. And it doesn't seeem to happen to everyone. You're one of the unlucky ones, like me. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts