Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just set up a Nuvo Fusion 20 rimless tank that I scored on Craigslist. Plan to use it as a grow out tank for my 90. I transferred pool sand substrate and bioballs from the 90 to the 20, and added the first dose of ammonia today.

Here's my question... I'm having to add top-off water daily. Should I be adding Prime as I would for the 90? Or just straight from the tap?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I would add Prime. But you should not have to refill the tank any more often than weekly. Do you have the tanks covered with glass?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The established 90 has glass lids, but the new rimless 20 is an open top causing rapid evaporation. I just wasn't sure how the Prime would impact the fishless cycle.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
The bacteria will not grow with chlorine so you need the dechlorinator. The fish will jump out if the tank is not, not to mention the evaporation problem and the unsightly calcium deposits from the evaporation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've struggled getting clear test results to guide my progress with Prime during my fishless cycles. You DO need it or the chlorine or chloramine will kill your bacteria. But Prime locks up the Nitrate and Nitrite for 24-48 hours, so your Nitrate and nitrite test results will be wonky unless you use the test from Seachem that is compatible with Prime. The bacteria can still get at the Nitrite and ammonia to make use of them and grow the colonies, so Prime doesn't slow or stop the cycle. But I was using my API test kit at first and was getting all sorts of crazy results from my ammonia and Nitrite levels that made figuring out where I was in my cycle an aggravation. The Seachem test fixed all that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thalas_shaya said:
I've struggled getting clear test results to guide my progress with Prime during my fishless cycles. You DO need it or the chlorine or chloramine will kill your bacteria. But Prime locks up the Nitrate and Nitrite for 24-48 hours, so your Nitrate and nitrite test results will be wonky unless you use the test from Seachem that is compatible with Prime. The bacteria can still get at the Nitrite and ammonia to make use of them and grow the colonies, so Prime doesn't slow or stop the cycle. But I was using my API test kit at first and was getting all sorts of crazy results from my ammonia and Nitrite levels that made figuring out where I was in my cycle an aggravation. The Seachem test fixed all that.
Thanks for the info! Glad to hear that it doesn't affect the cycle. I too am using an API test kit.

How about letting my top-off water "air out" for 24 hours before adding to the tank? I think I read that the chlorine would dissipate on it's own..???

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
rdaled said:
Thalas_shaya said:
Thanks for the info! Glad to hear that it doesn't affect the cycle. I too am using an API test kit.

How about letting my top-off water "air out" for 24 hours before adding to the tank? I think I read that the chlorine would dissipate on it's own..???
It would depend on whether or not you have chloramine in your tap water.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Exactly. It's fairly standard in the US now to use chloramine because it does not dissipate, which is a good thing for your drinking water but a bad thing for your tanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
If you just wait for the nitrite to go to zero the API kits works fine. That will be the rest of your fishkeeper life. No need to know the amount of nitrate at this time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DJRansome said:
If you just wait for the nitrite to go to zero the API kits works fine. That will be the rest of your fishkeeper life. No need to know the amount of nitrate at this time.
So Prime doesn't have any effect on the nitrite test readings?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Not that I know of. Prime is a very common dechlorinator and API Master Freshwater Test Kit is a very commonly recommended kit so they will work together just fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
DJRansome said:
Not that I know of. Prime is a very common dechlorinator and API Master Freshwater Test Kit is a very commonly recommended kit so they will work together just fine.
Sorry for chiming into this thread late, but I'm facing the same situation right now in setting up a new quarantine tank. I was using Dr. Tim's ammonia to do a fishless cycle and it wasn't working FOREVER. I was told by them that using Prime will harm the good bacteria from feeding on the ammonia. They suggested I do a water change and then use ONLY a de-chlorinator that does NOT also detoxify the ammonia and nitrites. I agree with the person above that once you get the tank cycled then Prime will always be good and to the point. So, I'm in the process of trying this now based on this advice....not sure if it will work yet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Interesting that the Dr. Tim's folks say Prime locks the ammonia and nitrite away from the bacteria. The Seachem folks (perhaps unsurprisingly) say the opposite and that Prime will not hinder your cycling.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts