Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every Spring I cycle a 300gal rubbermaid pond and 100gal sump on my porch. I grow out a group of trophs in it till October then I shut it down. I have 1 300 watt heater in it and it has been on since I started the cycle and the temp was about 75 degrees. I am into the cycle for 3 1/2 weeks now. Ammonia was prossessed after 1 week. Nitrite showed up after 3 weeks and was at 5.0ppm as of last night. I did a top off on the sump last night of about 75 gallons of water. The water I put into the sump was hot like 95 degrees.. I knew that when I turned on the sump pump it would dilute and raise the temp in the pond a few degrees or more. I did this at 9:00pm last night. I checked the nitrite this morning and it was 0.25ppm. I think this warm water saved me about 2 weeks cycle time. What do y'all think? :popcorn:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I think this warm water saved me about 2 weeks cycle time. What do y'all think?
I wouldn't be quick to come to the conclusion that the water change and temp raise cut two weeks off cycle time until you can get same results consistently over several attempts. But, I'm always skeptical of things, don't mind me. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 2 guys I wanted to hear from posted and I thank y'all. :) I can't afford to run heaters and keep the temp up because it's still kind of cool at night. The heaters would never turn off. I really think the warm water top off did the trick. I just added 10ml of ammonia and tested nitrite. It's at 0ppm. I will do this again tomorrow. Speeding up the cycle did not help me much because it's still to cold to put the fish outside. :roll:

·
Registered
532 Posts
When I was growing up, in the 80s, we never knew about cycling. I had around 2 or 3 aquariums, and never once cycled or even changed the water. Nevertheless, very few fish kicked the bucket.

Now, thanks to the information tidal wave that is the internet, there are a host of chemicals to treat your aquariums with, as well as a treasure chest of knowledge available with a simple click of a mouse! Before the net was available, LFS's usually only had a small, select few knowledge ppl, now ppl can easily get all the info on fish keeping they need, and will not let LFS's get away with NOT having all the chemicals and supplies we need.

If the population remains ignorant, it is amazing what you can get away with!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If the population remains ignorant, it is amazing what you can get away with!
Back in the good old days more fish died from new tank syndrome than do today. Exposing fish to ammonia and nitrite can cause long term damage. Even though the fish survives and we seem to have gotten away with something, we haven't. You seem to be implying that we're using knowledge and technology just to use knowledge and technology with little or no gain. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

·
Registered
532 Posts
prov356 said:
Back in the good old days more fish died from new tank syndrome than do today. Exposing fish to ammonia and nitrite can cause long term damage. Even though the fish survives and we seem to have gotten away with something, we haven't. You seem to be implying that we're using knowledge and technology just to use knowledge and technology with little or no gain. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.
No, I'm saying that our understanding is growing by leaps and bounds. Before we were aware of the importance of maintaining a fish's environment, more fish died suddenly. We had no ideas why. Now, because of the advent of technology available at our fingertips, the only excuse one has to be negligent is willful ignorance.

By my comment about the population remaining ignorant, before because we were mostly guessing, LFS's could get away basically anything. For instance, telling ppl that Jack Dempsey's are community fish. Sure, they can say that, but most ppl now know it's BS thanks to forums like these. Before, ppl only knew from experience, and the word of a LFS was gospel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts