Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i read the article in here and says:
"2nd method. This one is used by probably 99% of hobbyists. Addition of X amount of NH3 drops until Ammonia level of 5ppm is achieved. This X amount of drops has to be added daily until NO2 spike. Afterwards follow up with ½ X (from previous step) amount of NH3 drops daily until NO2 is 0ppm causing NO3 peak. ~50% water change should follow -> cycled tank"

so yesterday, I started my cycle. and added 4capful of ammonia from Ace hardwarre store. i also had two 6"x7" sponge media from fellow hobbyist which had lots of debris and bacteria in it.

today, my reading read:
Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
PH: 8.2
(didnt test nitrate yet-no point)

my tank is 270gal with 120gal sump (1/3rd is filled with 1" bioballs).

Now my question is:
do i keep adding ammonia daily the same amount (4capful) until nitrite shows to go up?
then 1/2 when nitrite is 0ppm?

i just wanna make sure adding same amount wont add too much ammonia at 1st.

I saw someone elses thread and he said he added the 1st amount then waited til ammonia got to 0ppm then added same amount of ammonia daily.

which way is good?
thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
another question:
when i added my tap water yesterday, i added Seachem prime to dechlorinate.

but here it says:
"SeaChem Prime™ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime™ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime™ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime™ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them.

will this affect my cycle?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
dkreef said:
another question:
when i added my tap water yesterday, i added Seachem prime to dechlorinate.

but here it says:
"SeaChem Prime™ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime™ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime™ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime™ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them.

will this affect my cycle?
that will definitely affect your cycle. You want the bacteria to do the work not the prime. If prime only removed chlorine and chloramine it would be okay, but since it removes ammonia as well it is basically taking away food for your growing bacteria.

In an estabished tank it is essential to use it to protect the fish from chlorine, but don't use it when trying to fishless cycle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
man...well i added prime 1st to tap water then ammonia an hour later.
i wont be adding anymore prime cuz i dont need to but does this mean i need to drain water?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
No, just don't add any more.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks tan,
hey did u read my 1st question tho?
when should i add my second ammonia dose? tonight and daily or wait til ammonia comes down to 0ppm?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Adding prime to a cycling tank will not cause you any problems at all. I have used it for years on brand new tanks and I have never had any issues. As far as you question about the ammonia, after 24 hr. take a reading and see what level the ammonia is at and add only enough to get it back to either 3 or 4 ppm. do this every day until your ammonia is zero and your nitrites are zero. You never have to cut it in half. When your levels are zero after a 24 hr period from the last time you added the ammonia you are ready to go. I personally do this for a couple of days to make sure the Bio filter can handle this load. After a few days of making sure your levels are correct do a 50% water change and check you nitrates and if they are good you can add your fish. If the nitrates are to high do another water change and then add your fish. For a tank that has been cycled at 4ppm you can actually add quite a few fish all at the same time. If you don't plan on stocking right away at least with in a day or so you should continue with adding the ammonia. until you are ready to add you fish or you Bio filter will start to die off. After you cycle, keep in mind that if you lightly stock your tank you bio filter will adjust to the load you have in your tank, so if you stock light at first when you do decide to add fish I would do it slowly also.

Good luck

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just a note on the prime, it does not remove ammonia (as it suggests) it binds it into a less toxic form that doesn't hurt the fish. The bacteria can still access the ammonia as a nutrient, so don't sweat it, it shouldn't slow down your cycle much if at all.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
i think it is questionable that it is still there for the bacteria. either way, what is the benefit of using it on a tank with no fish? I would say the fastest cycle is without the prime doing anything to the ammonia. Add some prime after the cycle is complete before adding fish.

·
Registered
161 Posts
dkreef said:
i also had two 6"x7" sponge media from fellow hobbyist which had lots of debris and bacteria in it.
This is the reason I would have used the Prime, The OP stated that he had some Bio Media that was already seeded. The chlorine or chloramines that are added to tap water would have the same negative effect on the bacteria he got from his friend as it would have on existing fish in an established tank. Better safe than sorry :thumb:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
i can buy that. too bad all the water conditioners remove not just chlorines but ammonia too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well its 12am now and i just tested my ammonia and its still at 4ppm.
do i wait til it goes down to add more ammonia?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, just wait until it drops and just add enough back to get it back up to your target range of 3 or 4 ppm. You won't add in as much as you did the first time. Add in a little and wait about 30 minutes and take a reading and adjust from there.

This is from the Seachem Site "Prime™ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter" As you can see the ammonia is still present and is considered a food source for the bacteria. It doesn't remove it..it just makes it yummy for the bacterias tummy :lol:

One thing you will need is patience.......these things take time.

Good luck and remember be patient. :popcorn:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
today 11:30am result,
ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrite: 1ppm

added 2 more cap ful and will test ammonia in 30 min. (originally added 4capful to get 4ppm)

guys would u say, my nitrification process is going pretty fast?
its been 1.5 days since i started the cycle.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Be patient---you're just starting, things will happen in their own time. I know that you are excited and want to get fish in the tank but this is something that you don't want to rush and do it properly. It's just something that takes time.

Good luck,

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will suggest that you test your Nitrate, and please post this result.

Reason being, I am in a similar stage of cycling, but have had to use a prawn to rot in there instead as I can't get pure ammonia in Australia. I also added a bit of old sponge.

In the few days since I started, my ammonia is now 4 ppm, nitrite 0.0, but nitrate is showing up at 5ppm. I can only guess / hope that the added bacteria has already started doing its job. I think I may have read that there is a possibility of of Nitrite ever showing if there is enough existing bacteria.

One other tip that may be useful which I read, is to increase the temperature to higher than normal. I am using 29 celcius. Reasoning is that bacteria multiplies faster in warmer condition. But be sure to really aerate the surface of your water to get maximum oxygen.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i just tested again.
ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrite: 2ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
I then added ammonia to 4ppm again.

How far am i into the cycle everyone?

i have set my temp at 85 degree F which should speed up bacterial reproduction.

thing is im hoping this cycle will be completed by this sat. my LFS is getting good shipment in.

i did find a LFS that sells Dr Tims one and only. but its $13 for 2oz for 30gallon. my tank is 320gal water volume. would getting even 4oz be worth it to speed it the cycle?
(i dont wanna spend $130)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well normal cycle without bacteria added takes 10days-2wks to get nitrite spike of 2ppm.
mine took 2days so it may still be very possible to finish cycle by this sat. we shall see.
i will post result again when i get home tonight.

BTW, if my ammonia was set up to 4ppm, then would my nitrite PEAK be at 4ppm?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm not sure where you got your information but most cycles without the addition of bacteria takes about 30 to 45 days and with bacteria sometimes you can cut out about 1 to 2 weeks. I have never had a tank cycle in less than 3 weeks and than I was using a small amount of established media from a friend. I did have one exception and I had started with a well established filter (the entire filter with all existing filter media) from another tank and the substrate from the same tank. I still had a mini cycle for about 2 weeks.

Good luck if you some how get it to cycle faster than that, my only advise is don't jump the gun and stock too early. You could have more problems in the future than are worth it and you won't understand what is causing it. If you are patient it really does pay off in the long run

1 - 20 of 68 Posts