Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This would be the 6th the day i tested amonia and its 0 i added 15 ml of amonia daily 2 ppm tank is 75 gallon.
So amonia 0 yellow on the chart nitrite is 2.0 and nitrate is 80 ph is 7.8. Question is the tank cycled with the amonia going to zero every day? Fish will be here in 5 days was going to do a water like a 30 percent water change day before they get here and add purigen to my canisters. Is this the best way to go for the next step in the cycle? Sorry for so many questions first time i have ever done fishless cycle.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Cycle is not done until nitrite is zero.

·
Registered
690 Posts
ds4025ds said:
This would be the 6th the day i tested amonia and its 0 i added 15 ml of amonia daily 2 ppm tank is 75 gallon.
So amonia 0 yellow on the chart nitrite is 2.0 and nitrate is 80 ph is 7.8. Question is the tank cycled with the amonia going to zero every day? Fish will be here in 5 days was going to do a water like a 30 percent water change day before they get here and add purigen to my canisters. Is this the best way to go for the next step in the cycle? Sorry for so many questions first time i have ever done fishless cycle.
What test kit / strips are you using to test? What ammonia are you using?

The reason I'm asking is because I too am doing a fishless cycle on my 75g. I dosed 10mL and it It took 6 days to drop from 4ppm to 0ppm. You're dosing 15mL and it's only 2ppm? I've done numerous fishless cycles and I have never needed to use that much ammonia.

Also you say your nitrIte is 2ppm. After the 1st day of ammonia dropping to 0, my nitrIte test (using API fresh master) drops turned bright purple at the bottom of the glass vile before I even shook it and let it sit for 5mins. That pretty much means it's over the 5ppm on the test kit. Even after shaking and letting it sit for 5mins it was very bright purple.

If you're using API check your expiration date on your bottles. If you're using strips you might want to get a API test kit for more accurate readings.

Good luck with your cycle. :thumb:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Api kit i used dr tims one and only starter and tlms amonia 5 ml for every 25 gallons tank been cycling for 18 days

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
You probably need to follow directions on the bottle, the bottled products may work differently. Allow six weeks for a cycle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just cycled my 150 gallon in 2 weeks. I used Tetra Safestart Plus, Seachem Stability, a small bag of gravel (maybe 1/4lb) from an established tank, and added a Fluval FX5 that was on a 6 week old tank for 4 weeks.

It takes time to really be cycled. I dosed mine to 2ppm every night and it wasn't cycled until it was 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in the morning. Nitrates we're through the roof but that's to be expected.

I highly recommend getting some media from another tank. If you don't have one, get from a local club member. That will speed it up big time. And add some Of the Tetra and Seachem stuff. They worked big time for me.

·
Registered
690 Posts
ds4025ds said:
Api kit i used dr tims one and only starter and tlms amonia 5 ml for every 25 gallons tank been cycling for 18 days
The Ace hardware ammonia I use seems to be a lot stronger.

Either way you'll get there...you should have a week or less to go.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts