Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i started a fishless cycle a few days ago and i was shocked to see that my ammonia is remaining high and i had no trace of nitrites. well today while looking at the library article for what seemed like the tenth time i saw it, the word "surfactants". immediately scared i ran to my jug of ammonia and sure enough, its in there.

I knew i didn't want colorants or perfumes but i complete forgot about surfactants when i was at the store.

is there any hope for my tank? How can i get rid of this stuff? will massive water changes work or do i have to take everything out and bleach the tank? or let it dry in the sun?

please help

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
its a brand new 75 gallon. i already hooked up the filters and filled with sand and its in an office. i really don't want to dismantle or buy a new tank. if i do 75% WC twice a day for a week will that take care of it?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
id do some big water changes. perhaps keep a garden hose running while you vacum. After this Id use a charcoal filter.

·
Registered
146 Posts
1. Change all of the water
2. Rinse all filters out and run filters with charcoal.

That should it and restart fishless cycle with pure ammonia. Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, so i've completely drained the tank. threw away the sand (pool sand) pressure washed my rocks many times and let them bake in the sun (you have to love kansas). I threw away my filter media and ran the filter with carbon from a 5 gallon bucket on the counter.
i rinsed the tank itself out about 6 times whipping it out while it was filling and draining each time.

I spent pretty much all last night and today doing all of this. i have new sand, and i'm going to test it out with some feeder fish.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I think it will be fire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts