Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on day 3 of my fishless cycle. Below I wil give you all my readings starting from day one with water out of the tank.
Day 1: water temp @ 83; Ph from tap @ 8.2(my water's ph straight from tap is 8.0 but with a 24 hour gas discharge period is 8.2); KH at 13 to 15 range(240ppm to 275ppm).... I dosed my tank to around 4ppm with ammonia(test kit goes from 4 to 8 so I made sure I stoped 4 or below)

Day 2: water temp @ 93(had 2 250w heaters set at 83 stupid); Ph at 8.5(rise from ammonia?); ammonia @ 4ppm

Day 3: water temp @ 86(removed one of the heaters); Ph @ 8.5; ammonia @ .5ppm; Nitrite @ 3ppm

I know my next step is to dose back up to around 3 to 4ppm of ammonia. I know I need to dose my ammonia everytime it drops down to around .5ppm or so.

I just really don't know how long I keep on going like this. Do I dose like this until I read no more Nitrites?
Anyones help would be much welcomed!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Dose ammonia 2ppm every other day going forward. Stop testing for ammonia. Test only for nitrite now and keep dosing ammonia every other day until you get a reading of 0 for nitrite. Then and only then test for nitrate. The level of nitrate will tell you what water changes are needed before adding fish. Add the last dose of ammonia 48 hours before adding fish. While waiting for nitrite to drop, do small partial water changes to try to keep nitrite down. Keep an eye on KH, but doesn't sound like you're going to have a problem with it. You don't want KH to get so low that pH crashes during the cycling process.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Day 3: Dosed ammonia back up to 4ppm(before prov356 told me to do only 2ppm)

Day 4: Ammonia @ 0 ppm ; Nitrite @ 5+ppm
Do I want to add some more ammonia maybe to 2 or 3 ppm

Should I add some more ammonia so it is not at zero or what do I do

·
Registered
59 Posts
Honestly at this stage I did a small (maybe 25%) waterchange to drop the nitrites down to prevent them from inhibiting bacteria growth. Dose maybe one or two drops of ammonia just to be sure your ammonia eating colony doesnt starve off but nothing big just yet. Test your nitrates as well when I first bothered to they were over 80 ppm. (should have been paying more attention but the Ammonia/nitrite bit gave me tunnel vision)

if someone else says differently from my advice follow theirs as it's probably more accurate i'm just telling you what worked for my tank.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Just stay patient. I don't think you'll have to wait much longer.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Should I add some more ammonia so it is not at zero or what do I do
All I can do is repeat my previous post.

Dose ammonia 2ppm every other day going forward.

Stop testing for ammonia. Test only for nitrite now and keep dosing ammonia every other day until you get a reading of 0 for nitrite. (This may take 2 weeks or so.)

While waiting for nitrite to drop, do small partial water changes to try to keep nitrite down.

When nitrite reads 0, test for nitrate (and only after nitrite reaches 0). The level of nitrate will tell you what water changes are needed before adding fish.

Add the last dose of ammonia 48 hours before adding fish.

Keep an eye on KH, but doesn't sound like you're going to have a problem with it. You don't want KH to get so low that pH crashes during the cycling process.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts