Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I started my fishless cycle yesterday in my 75. I have 2 250 w visi-therm heaters. I set them both to 83. I get home from work and my tank is slightly above 90. the heaters are not stuck on like one might assume might have happened. I turned them both down to 77 to see what happens. Anyone else have a similar experience

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Way too much wattage for that tank. One of those heaters should be more than enough. Find a single heater that won't take the tank temp up over 85 or so, and it'll be perfect. I'd try a single 150 or 200. When you use two heaters, and not on a single controller, they can behave very erratically. I don't subscribe to the redundancy idea when it comes to heaters. All you've done is double your chances for a bad day. If a single heater fails to work at all, won't kill your fish.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
There is also no reason to expect heaters to be correct according to the dial. We might expect it but it won't happen often. The only realistic way to set the temp is to put it in and let it settle to a temperature. After that ,adjust it. The numbers on heaters are there as a sales gimick more than a real gauge. If you take a heater apart and find what makes it set the temp, you find a system that will change over time. I'm sure there will be a flood of people who vouch for their special heater but they often have not looked inside to see. Almost all heaters use the same system and have the same weakness so relying on the dial temperature is just missing the point. Over time the reading will drift as the spring movement inside changes.
Sometimes we are not very knowledgable consumers.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Since your cycling is going to take a little time any ways, unplug one of the heaters and then fine tune the other heater using a thermometer and time / patience. When you get it set correctly, unplug it and start the process with your other heater. Don't pay attention to the temperature numbers on the heater dial. I haven't found them to be very accurate.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of doing what you just stated moto_master. Or just taking one out completely and saving it for a back up

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
masonv said:
Or just taking one out completely and saving it for a back up
+1 One of them is plenty for your tank. :thumb:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I run 2 heaters in all my tanks with great results. yours are too big, unless your tanks are in a freezer. :lol: :lol:

2 x 50watts in my 30g work well in my unheated basement.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took one of the heaters out. the tank is now at 85. I'm just going to put the other one back in the box and pull it out for a rainny day I guess. Oh well they were on sale. LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts