Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was dosing ammonia up to 4-5ppms had the Nitrite spike, ammonia is down to 0 every day. But Nitrite is stuck at 1ppm for the last 6 days now. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Every time I have got to the nitrite part of the cycle I was about 5-10 days. Usually looks like it stalled but it always jumps from .5 ppm to 0 in 24 hours. It always amazes me because I feel like I'm stuck and the end comes quick. You should be there any day now. What's the ph in the tank and temp?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You should be there any day now. All looks well. Hang in there your about to stock that tank soon .

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the encouragement. My husband does not quite undrstand why we cant have fish in there NOW. I just took the drift wood out so it can go back in my other tank, so I assume the PH may rise a little.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Low ph stall a cycle sometimes that's why I ask. Ph tends to drop when the water quality does. Tell your hubby he wouldn't go into a gas filled room that would eventual air out, would he? It is the same concept but with fish.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
But Nitrite is stuck at 1ppm for the last 6 days now. Any ideas?
It's not stuck. It can take 3 weeks for bacteria to build to handle the nitrite. Be patient, and also do as suggested above and keep an eye on pH and KH. Don't let either get too low or the processes can be inhibited. But this is NOT what's happened in your case. Your pH is up and fine, but check KH also. If KH is very low 1-2, pH could crash suddenly. This is something in your case that you want to keep an eye on because you're using a lot of ammonia. You could cut that dose in half to 2ppm or so and still stock fully. You'll also then have less nitrate to deal with at the end also.

Another suggestion is to do partial daily water changes to try to keep the nitrites down. Do maybe 25-30%. Don't do massive changes.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cycle is done! :thumb: Doing a HUGE water change now, then going to dose the ammonia up to 3 or 4 just to make sure we are all good. 1 day short of 3 weeks to cycle. =D>

Going to the GCCA Swap Meet on Sunday, and may also pick up fish at a few other places (local breeders) over the next week! So excited!!![/img][/code]

·
Registered
509 Posts
Congrats! It just took me 3 weeks as well with seeded media. My first week wasn't optimal though since my heater couldn't get me to 85 F.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.