Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for making another thread; however, I couldn't find our recent one. Any tips on how to retrieve recent posts of your own to update would be greatly appreciated :)

My question is this...every time that we add ammonia (which is only every other day) our ammonia and our nitrite goes to 0. Are we cycled? It's not in 24 hours, but definitely by 48 hours.

I just checked our nitrates this morning, and they're between 80-160. We have a bunch of green algae on our rocks as well.

We are ready to transfer our fish, but we just wanted to make sure. I'm guessing if so, we should do a heavy water change before transferring fish?

Thanks again! This help has been amazing!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I think this is it. If you look at your profile and click 'find all posts by', you can zero in on past threads of yours.

How much ammonia are you adding in ppm? In other words, what does ammonia measure right after the dose? I see originally it was 2ppm. If so, drop the dosage to 1ppm and then measure after 24 hours. If both are 0, you're defnitely good to go.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok...I added 1ml of ammonia again this morning, so I'll check tomorrow morning to see if it's 0. We've only been adding 1ml for the past few times, and we're at 0 by 48 hours for sure.

I should wait to do the massive water change until I see the levels at 0...right before we transition fish?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I should wait to do the massive water change until I see the levels at 0...right before we transition fish?
I wouldn't. I'd do 30-40% changes daily starting tomorrow right before the next ammonia dose. I don't like massive water changes at the end. I've seen it disrupt the nitrite converters. Not dramatically, but who wants a setback of even a day or two at the end.

Do you mean mg/l? Because dielikemoviestars's right, 1ml is not the same as 1ppm necessarily. 1ml (volume) might bring your ppm (%, parts per million) up to 1, but it'd only be by coincidence.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
prov356 said:
Do you mean mg/l? Because dielikemoviestars's right, 1ml is not the same as 1ppm necessarily. 1ml (volume) might bring your ppm (%, parts per million) up to 1, but it'd only be by coincidence.
I add 1 teaspoon of Janitorial Strength ammonia to the tank to get a reading of 1ppm. Does that make sense. I used the calculations from the previous post, and they seemed to be right on the money. I'm going to test again tomorrow to see if I've reached 0 on both ammonia and nitrites, but I'm wondering if I should be concerned with my nitrates now? They're reading super high...almost at 160?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Makes sense to me :thumb:

Nothing (aside from plants/algae) will remove nitrates from your tank other than water changes, so there's no reason to worry that they're high. Yes, you'll want to do a few water changes to get them down before adding fish. Once your levels are hitting 0 within 24 hours, I'd do 50% every other day until your nitrates are down. Keep adding ammonia (after the water change, on those days). When they get to 20-40, you're ready.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so I ran the parameters this morning. We zeroed out on Ammonia and are almost 0 on nitrites.... (.25) A full 24 hours isn't until this afternoon.

What steps would you recommend now? Start water changes this evening?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
bmwyatt said:
Ok, so I ran the parameters this morning. We zeroed out on Ammonia and are almost 0 on nitrites.... (.25) A full 24 hours isn't until this afternoon.

What steps would you recommend now? Start water changes this evening?
Yes, start the water changes, and time to plan the end game and get ready for fish. What day did you plan to add them?

Also, how many and what size?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
prov356 said:
Yes, start the water changes, and time to plan the end game and get ready for fish. What day did you plan to add them?

Also, how many and what size?
Super!! Well, we have our 75 gallon up and running, but we only have 15 fish in it at the moment. We have:

1 Red Jewel
1 Yellow Lab
1 Species 44
1 Red Zebra
1 OB Zebra
2 RedTop Hongi
2 Bumblebee
1 Acei
2 Bristlenose Plecos
1 Blue/Black Melanochromis Mumbo
1 Salosi
1 Trewavasae Chilumba

I'm not the best with Species and their names :)

How many fish could you stock a 150 gallon with?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When do you think is the best to add them? I should be concerned with getting the nitrates down before adding them right?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I think you should ready a hospital tank for the poor Saulosi.

The bumblebee's are likely going to be trouble in the future.

However, as long as your nitrates are below 20, you should be ready to add fish.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ammonia goes to Nitrite (by bacteria-Nitrosococcus) and Nitrite to nitrate (by Nitrospira) Nitrate is plant food, and Anacharis eats it. Fish eat anacharis. Cycle complete.

Nitrospira won't begin to grow until Nitrite is present, and it multiplies slowly, so be patient.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
bmwyatt said:
When do you think is the best to add them? I should be concerned with getting the nitrates down before adding them right?
Do a few water changes first and bring the nitrates down to 20 or so. I'd do them over Friday and Saturday and add fish either Saturday evening or some time Sunday. Don't add any more ammonia, it'll just drive up the nitrates. Don't feed for 24 hours while you're checking ammonia and nitrite. Don't touch the filters for 45-60 days. Don't make any major changes during that time either. If after a few days ammonia and nitrite stay at 0, you can start to add more fish. You might want to post now in the Malawi section for stocking recommendations.

Let us know how it goes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts