Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on day 6 of my fishless cycle. I am concerned that I will need to top off my water soon. The waterline will soon fall below the intakes. My concern is that if I add water before getting my 0 ammonia reading that I am going to mess up my cycling progress? Do I need to worry?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,501 Posts
No worries. The bacteria lives on the filter media, not free in the water. Allow an average of six weeks for a cycle with ammonia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
No worries. The bacteria lives on the filter media, not free in the water. Allow an average of six weeks for a cycle with ammonia.
Alright. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DJRansome said:
No worries. The bacteria lives on the filter media, not free in the water. Allow an average of six weeks for a cycle with ammonia.
Hey DJRansome, I added my first dose of ammonia which registered 2ppm on June 9, 2021. Yesterday, my ammonia read 0ppm and still remains 0ppm after 24 hours. I tested for Nitrite according to the Fishless Cycle by Tim Craig. My nitrite is 0ppm. I was expecting a higher reading. Do you know why I might be getting 0 on the nitrites?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,501 Posts
No I don't. Either you have not started the nitrite phase or it's over. I would wait a week and see if it starts up. Are you getting nitrate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
No I don't. Either you have not started the nitrite phase or it's over. I would wait a week and see if it starts up. Are you getting nitrate?
I have not tested the nitrate yet. I was following the Fishless Cycle by Tim Craig to the letter. I will continue to monitor the nitrite test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Add another 2ppm of ammonia and then test tomorrow at same time.
If ammonia reads zero, test for nitrite, if nitrite reads zero then test for nitrates. I would be surprised if your tank is cycled after only 6 days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Billy-the-fish said:
Add another 2ppm of ammonia and then test tomorrow at same time.
If ammonia reads zero, test for nitrite, if nitrite reads zero then test for nitrates. I would be surprised if your tank is cycled after only 6 days.
The nitrite reading ended up showing the next day later following a half dose of the original amount I began with which 1.5 teaspoons. Now, I am on to testing nitrites and water changes. I would have been very surprised by a 6 day cycle as well.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top