Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a problem with fish. They are all so cool that I keep getting more. I started with a venustrus and 2 vc-10 cichlids. Then I got a few peacocks and another venustrus. Well then I saw a local shop had some small frontosas and decided that I might like to try and breed them so I got 4 of them in the hopes to have a couple females and a male. I actually traded one of my vc-10s for two of the frontosas as he was causing problems in the main tank. Then over the weekend I thought it would be cool to have a breeding set of venustrus. I love the giraffe colors. Well both of my exhisting fish have blue lips and sometimes show blue on their faces. I need some females. So I got 4 smaller venustrus over the weekend in the hopes that at least 2 of them are female. I need to stay out of the fish department. I also got a livingstonii somewhere along the line as well. Now I have a lot of fish that are going to get big and will have to make new aquariums to house them. Who would like to share next? :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
okay, i will confess i have been looking at the nano-cubes, thinking about a reef tank...
:drooling:

(already have a 26g bowfront, 75g, and 29g for fry /hospital tank)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
LOL. I think everyone here has a problem, whether we like to admit it or not. On the other hand, I don't think I have a problem. I have 12 aquariums. I don't see that as a problem at ALL. :fish:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
LOL, well it all started at the county fair when one of the boys won a goldfish. We had it in a vase on the table. I started doing some research and found out that a bowl or vase isnt the ideal setup so I went out and got a 5g tank. Then realized that we needed bigger so got a 10g.

Then goldfish died, so we got some tetras, but while picking out the tetra I seen the Africans sitting there and was like :eek: I gots to get me some of them. So went out and got a 55g one day while old lady was at work. :wink: Stocked it with some various fish til I learned more about them. Narrowed it down to Demasoni, Yellow Labs, and some catfish.

Then a cpl months later went out and got a 75g, and moved some fish over to that and got more of those species, got rid of the cats, added some Acei, along with 2 more 10g's for fry tanks and qt tank.

This brings me up to today where I will be going to get some Jalo reefs on Wed from local club member and am looking at a 30g setup with stand, lights, filter.... the whole 9 yards for the kids room for a shellie tank or possibly some type of syno setup.

But no I dont have a problem with fish tanks, just affording all the equipment to keep adding them and room to put them.

:D :fish: :fish: :fish: :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
My son calculated that we have 228 gallons between 8 tanks last night while eating dinner. Nope no problem here.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I see no problem with:

1- 2 gal (jar)
1- 5 gal
2- 10 gal's
2- 20 gal's
2- 30 gal's
1- 75 gal
1- 125 gal

Ok, maybe a little problem...just a little one.

·
Registered
587 Posts
You think you have a problem...

My story begins with a purchase of a betta fish and a betta tank kit. I swear stores shouldn't be allowed to sell these kits. It's just terrible for these fish to be housed in, but this could be another thread. Any way, a week after having the betta I was quickly tested with Ich. Pour fish, by the time I learned what it was it was too late to save him. RIP.

I went on to research about fish, tanks, setups, etc. and this is where everything started rolling very fast. I purchased a 6 gallon Fluval Edge tank and housed some tiger barbs. This worked out so well that soon after, it was a desire for a 30 gallon tank (1 month span). I wanted to move on to something bigger and better. However, someone convinced me to get a 75 gallon instead. So here I am now...

In the last 4 weeks, I have hit many different LFS, repeatedly. Almost a daily drive by when I can. It has become an addiction. I try not to hit the same store 2 days in a row because it's embarrassing to see the same people working. I have a members card with almost every single store! haha. Every time I say okay I'm done with shopping, the next day I will tell myself I need something else. Is this a problem? nah... By the way, I have an AquaLife 4 lamp T5 HO fixture on order and waiting for the phone call from LFS to pick up on Thursday! I think I can say I'm done shopping now?? :roll:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
des said:
I think I can say I'm done shopping now?? :roll:
As long as those boxes of water are in your house, you'll never be done shopping!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ok, I have to admit that I spend about 2 hours per day AT WORK looking at the forums and researching just about anything that comes to my mind, DIY's, Feeding habits, rare cichlids, etc. etc. and some more time at home.

I'm also almost done stocking my tank and I'm like, "this is it? :(", I just need to keep on doing something, I don't want to feel like this is it and I'm done, it's time to sit down and just enjoy the fish, that turns out a little bit boring or dissapointing. Although I'm never bored when watching my fish and it's really exciting to think about my fish growing because all of them are juvies. Anyone agrees? I probably get some live plants to keep it fun and I'm always looking into new equipment although I don't always have the money. Also, I wished I lived in a bigger place to be able to have more tanks.

What else can I say? Mmmm... I don't know... Will post again if I have something to add :)

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
9 aquariums, 8 with fish (hospital tank) = 331 gallons
+2 terrariums (1 is 75g) & 2 betta bowls

Probably about 140-150 fish total.

(+ 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 bearded dragons, 1 gecko & 4 kids)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I'm at 2 tanks totaling 105 gallons with 19 fish. 2 dogs, 2 cats, 1 gecko, & 1 kids. I'm doing ok I guess. Just need a few more tanks since 11 of my fish should get to be 10 inches or more. Lol.

·
Registered
245 Posts
However, my future plans are as follows:

My current 120 gallon of Lake Malawi All Male Haps/Peacocks
A 110 gallon with native fish from Uruguay
An Amazonian (monster) set up that I want it to be at least 400 gallons, or more
A reef set up of at least 90 gallons
A 10 gallon tank wit small fish such as a school of Cardinal Tetras
A 54 gallon corner tank that I will be setting up for my mom
A 20 gallon hospital tank
Maybe something more but those are the plans for the future.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Let's see it sounds like most people's stories are the same to a certain degree. My friend got my into the hobby and now lets count up my tanks:

5-125g
4-60g
3-55g
1-75g
2-150g
1-100g
6-20g
1-29g (everyone has to have a 29)
4-10g
2-5g
1-2.5g
NOt a math wis but thats a lot of gallons added it up once but cant remember the number.
Breeding 4 types of peacocks and 2 types haps at the moment and am sure there will be more. Selling fish out of my garage almost 3 times a week got a domain name and working on my site. (azcichlids.com) Prolly got around 350 fish right now between breeding fish and fish for my soon to be assembled show tank. Might have a problem more that the rest since I have no wife slowing me down lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thats a good point about the wife slowing us down. LOL. I would already have removed my coat closet and built an 8 foot tank in the entrance to my house. She did give me permission to shrink that closet by 6 inches so that I can fit a 5 foot 150 gallon there and maybe put a tank in our bedroom. Oh well. My house is too small with no basement. Need the kids to grow up and get out so I can move more fish into their bedrooms. :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
londonloco said:
:eek: :eek: That's 1706.5 gallons :eek: :eek:
Yar... and I'm about at my limit of what I want to do with water changes. It would have to be automated.

Plus, the water bill in my area would SUCK.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Water bill not too shabby to be honest. Most people in AZ have pools so waters bills are no thang. As far as water changes all my tanks are drilled for 40% water changes so i just flip a nasal and change whatever tanks i want and they refill automatically. I have retrofitted my tanks to act like toilets so they have float valves. Water lines hooked into water heater then into filter then lines to all the tanks. I have soft water running to the tanks as well the fish actually act fine and no differences in color. I slowly weaned them to it but they like it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts