Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The situation came around slowly but finally got to the point I wanted to change it. I had a 75 with Moori that I was wanting to grow up to the breeding point. They seem to take forever but these seemed large enough but were doing little. Part of the problem was the tankmates. I had a fist full of hap ahli which should have colored but only one had turned blue. He never got around to fully securing a nest site and there was no breeding. The big trouble in this tank was the group of Lab "Hongi". They were in charge and constantly breeding to the point that I hated them. It was time to do the Craigslist wonder move!

I advertised and within thirty minutes had a buyer on the way. Once here, he bought as many as he had cash to cover. He got a great deal. I got rid of fish I hated as well as some more.

As soon as the water cleared, the moori were dancing. I sold half the Ahli so they are fine. I now have the tank back to what I want. Did I make a lot of money? No. At $56 it won't affect my lifestyle but I have less work now and can set back and watch my fish breed which is what I wanted.
The whole point is that if you have fish you are not satisfied with having, don't just fuss about it. Do something. This is a hobby to be enjoyed. You most likely will never be able to live on the money from the hobby so make it fit what you want, not the other way around. Offer them up at a bargain price and move on.

·
Registered
623 Posts
i know what you mean. In the past 3 weeks i cleared my 90, which had redxred zebras, kenyi, auartus, kribs, pleco, sunburst/ruby red peacock, pictus, out of 25 fish im keeping 6 temporarily. Than i moved in some Moori, venestus, and taiwan reef from my grow out 55. After i weed out extra males all i will have in my future 6 ft tank will be 5 moori, 3 venestus, 4 taiwan reef, 3 hap 44, and single acei, swallow tail peacock, and SAE. The haps are some of my favourites as well as peaceful so im aiming at catering to those 4 species, with the also peaceful single acei, swallowtail peacock and SAE giving a little variation.

I should add, immediately after moving out my aggressive zebras, my male hap 44 which has been submissive has moved up to #2 in the tank beginning to color back up. One of my female hap 44 is only dominant over him at times, so i plan to give her a time out in my 55 to allow my male to become dominant of only his species getting his full color back, as eventually the venestus and moori will probably be king of the castle.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny thing about my move is the effect it has already shown on the remaining fish. I left a bunch of rock on the floor and all kinds of equipment out of place and now at 5-6 hours after totally scaring the pants off all the fisha nd removing most of the fish in that tank, I have breeding activity from the Moori. The larger male has dug two large pits and been dancing every time I peek in. He is still pretty spooky and stops when/if he sees me but given a chance, he is on board for breeding! A large water change and getting rid of much of the distractions and he is ready.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.