Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had a M. lombardoi for about 2 months. The fish started out with fairly dull bars compared to my other one. now it appears to be turning yellow, right now its just a yellow tint. i havent added any fish and test the water once or twice a week. All of my other fish appear to be doing great.

i will attempt to get a pic posted tomorrow.

all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Yep I bet it's a male and starting to turn male colored. Sometimes kenyi are slow to show the male coloration. I bought a tiny one that was already male colored when I got it. Then I bought what I thought was a couple females and one of them finally started tuning yellow. It was a good bit bigger than the first male was when I got it. I think it might have to do with dominance but not positive about that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought a couple of 3" females and onemale from my lfs and several days later one of the female starting turning a bit of yellow. The dominant male chased him all over and nipped at the tail. I got another female and the sub-dom male did the shakes to confirm to me it is a male. He went back to my lfs today. :thumb:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my tank is a 10g with 2 M. lombardoi, 1 L. caeruleus, and 1 Yellow Lab. They range between 3/4 inch and 1 1/4 inch. they all seem to get along so far and havent seen any snipped fins or chasing going on.

My 2 largest fish the M. lombardoi and L. caeruleus both had very obvious egg spots up until about a week ago.

My plan was to start small and when they start to out grow this tank to go a 55g and then add more fish.

·
Registered
976 Posts
cevvin said:
1 L. caeruleus, and 1 Yellow Lab.
One in the same…

cevvin said:
My plan was to start small and when they start to out grow this tank to go a 55g and then add more fish.
That’s a good plan… You may want to start preparing the 55g now…

M. lombardoi can get real mean, real fast…

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
A 75G may be better suited for lombardoi. They are one of the more aggressive mbuna.

And since the male is already taking on male colouration, time may be of the essence in setting up the new tank. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
When I first got kenyi, I bought a male and female that were only about an inch long. The male was yellow with brown stripes at that small size.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i just took another good look at my 4 fish. 3 of them have egg spots. dam i need less male fish

1 - 13 of 13 Posts