Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in acquiring another type of cichild for my other tank. Since my convict pair in my regular 20 gallon will most certainly spawn again, and again, and again, I will need a way to get rid of the fry. I got the idea of using them as feeders from Chubbs, and I would like to get a cichild that eats them. I'm thinking a Jewel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
Altolamprologus calvus, I just picked up two of them today Friday the 13. I named them Jason and Freddie :lol:
The little research I've done on them says they love snatching up fry. Check it out in the profiles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
If you're not too set on a cichlid, what about a crawfish? I just picked one up, he cleans out my con fry very well (the month old ones anyway, he hasn't managed to catch the two 4-month juvies that share his tank for now).

side note: Elijah, everytime I see your avatar I think it's a con with a halo over his head... very nice. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
duds said:
If you're not too set on a cichlid, what about a crawfish? I just picked one up, he cleans out my con fry very well (the month old ones anyway, he hasn't managed to catch the two 4-month juvies that share his tank for now).

side note: Elijah, everytime I see your avatar I think it's a con with a halo over his head... very nice. :wink:
Good call duds I didn't notice the halo thing till you said something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
duds said:
side note: Elijah, everytime I see your avatar I think it's a con with a halo over his head... very nice. :wink:
Haha, yea that is that flowerpot that the female made a nest. I searched multiple LFS's and cannot find another one. In that picture, Elijah is patrolling the perimeter!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, yesterday I bought a young firemouth. But it seems he's really lethargic during the day, but when I turn the lights off, he's active as can be. What's going on? Should I purchase a few dithers to bring him out?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flippercon said:
Altolamprologus calvus, I just picked up two of them today Friday the 13. I named them Jason and Freddie :lol:
The little research I've done on them says they love snatching up fry. Check it out in the profiles.
Cool. I have never seen them at any LFS around here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
No just let it get use to the new environment. Could take a couple weeks. Keep the lights off and feed from a distance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flippercon said:
No just let it get use to the new environment. Could take a couple weeks. Keep the lights off and feed from a distance.
Keep the aquarium lights off for a few weeks? Will he eat with the lights off? Should I just drop some pellets in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
Keep the lights off and gradually turn them on longer each day. Feeding with just room light is perfectly fine.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top