Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was playing with our little girl and the dog tonight after supper and we starting throwing the ball in the house for the dog (Dont tell my wife) and noticed something kinda strange.

Everytime I threw the ball the fish would fly over the glass and "chase" it. So I sat in front of the tank and kept tossing the ball up and catching and each time the fish would go up and down with the ball!

I was just cracking up, and so was she. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Has anyone else ever noticed anything like this?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
What kind of ball is it? Color? I want to try this. Oh and what type of fish was it, and size. I would love to have a fish like this.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fish are yellow labs and Demasoni. The ball was this orange rubber ball that makes a "boing, boing, boing" noise when it bounces. About the size of hardball.

After that I tried it with one of the little plastic pink balls that came with our little girls "Busy Ball Popper" and are about the size of a golfball. They followed that one up and down too!

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Meanies! They chase laser pointers too. Just avoid the eyes.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
Meanies! They chase laser pointers too. Just avoid the eyes.
Lol I never thought about that. Now I am gonna have to go dig mine up.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have never kept either of those fish. Maybe I will expand some time in the future. What's the typical size tank for these fish?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have them in a 75g now, had them in a 55g but since the Dems are best kept in large groups I thought the extra tank space would hurt.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well I tried the laser pointer on all my fish and it is so much fun . I can get get most of the jds loaches and barbs into one clay pot swirling to get that laser. Lmao. :lol:

·
Registered
365 Posts
my fishes, they simply mess with the dog. When he first saw teh fish, he went right into the glass bumped his head. the fish were scared at first but then they started to come out of their hiding spots and swim all right in my dogs face with all their fins and tail open to look as big as they can :lol: . The dog was then making phenomenal efforts to taste the fish by licking my tank glass lol

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I play with my fish with a laser pointer too. I've even taken the idea and used it to spotlight my hook when I go fishing, it didn't work too well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a green laser pointer. My fish FEAR it. I can use it to coral the whole lot into one side of the tank. They will NOT swim past it.

I try not to use it much, although their response is interesting, as they are quite shy for several days afterward. Makes me wonder if, although it shouldn't be, it harms them in any way?

Of course, I am not shining it directly at them; but, just through the tank.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
That's interesting too. Are fish color blind? Idk. Good post :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts