Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Second time in the 5 years since fishkeeping this happened. First time was a few years ago, one Venustus decided the Python was interesting and got stuck when he went up the tube and his nose wedged into the hose.

Just yesterday, my GF's favorite fish, an OB did the same thing. Funny thing is both these fish were the largest in the tank at the time.

What are you guys using to cover the python tube to prevent this from happening?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've used 3 different things in the past.

1. For boating, I had acquired a number of stuff-sacks, or rope bags. These are mesh bags with a cinch style top. I bough an assortment of sizes from amazon, and the smallest one goes all the way over the outside of the end of the python and cinches up around the hose to stay in place. I use this to drain the tank if I have to walk away.

2. Plastic pot scrubbies. These are excellent for bio filter media, so I have a bunch laying around. Loosely stick it inside the end of the python to keep anything from going in the hose.

3. Attentiveness is what I use most now. I'm going to tell on myself here, but I have had curious fish go all the way out the drain hose into the flower bed outside. No fatalities, but the ride was wild, and they were certainly the worse for wear, so I'm a lot more careful now. Like you, I find it's the fish you would not expect. Out of all the species I keep - Chindongo Saulosi and Iodotropheus Sprengerae are the curious ones who I gotta look out for.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just take an old net (I usually have a bunch lying around) and cut the netting off the handle. Put it over the end and secure with an elastic band. I only do this in my betta tanks though...my cichlids aren't usually stupid enough to get caught in the Python lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts