Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some input on more fish for my 3000 gal planted Amazon Cichlid tank. While not a biotope I am trying to keep the stock to mainly South American species and possibly central American Cichlids.

My current stocking: 6 x Oscars, 1 Peacock Bass, 2 x Pike Cichlids, 1 x Jack Dempsey, 2 x True Parrot fish, 3 x Severum, 2 x Pleco.

Some fish on my short list are: Arowana, Lima Shovelnose, Vieja Argentea

Appreciate any input or ideas! Oh and cannot be a fish that will eat or destroy live plants :)

This is what the aquarium looks like as of this week.

·
Registered
538 Posts
...pretty sure no one here has kept argentea in a 3000 gallon tank!

I've kept them a few times over the years, one of my absolute favourite cichlids - but I like big, mean fish who generally live alone because my tanks are all "little" at 180gal or less :p They're definitely very high on the aggression scale, but just about any feedback you get from anyone is going to be people who kept them in tanks much, much smaller than yours. Aggression, in theory, would go down in a larger tank...honestly, I'd give it a try and see. Grow them out with other fish in the tank and see what happens.

**Edit - actually read your full post, and saw your current stock list. Argentea are definitely much, much more aggressive than the fish you have in the tank now. You can try it - again, that much space may make a difference - but even with lots of space it's a risk with those fish.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sinister-Kisses said:
...pretty sure no one here has kept argentea in a 3000 gallon tank!

I've kept them a few times over the years, one of my absolute favourite cichlids - but I like big, mean fish who generally live alone because my tanks are all "little" at 180gal or less :p They're definitely very high on the aggression scale, but just about any feedback you get from anyone is going to be people who kept them in tanks much, much smaller than yours. Aggression, in theory, would go down in a larger tank...honestly, I'd give it a try and see. Grow them out with other fish in the tank and see what happens.

**Edit - actually read your full post, and saw your current stock list. Argentea are definitely much, much more aggressive than the fish you have in the tank now. You can try it - again, that much space may make a difference - but even with lots of space it's a risk with those fish.
Appreciate the reply! Yeah as much as I like the Argentea I don't want to upset the balance in the tank. I think I will focus on some Arowana and Catfish now to fill out the stock a bit more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.