Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my main tank I had a livingstonii that stopped eating after I noticed he had white stringy poop. I waited a day till I could get a tank setup and then moved him and started treating with tetra parasite guard. A couple days later one of my small giraffes started the same thing except it would suck food up and then spit it out. I moved it to the treatment tank also. They have gone through a full course of treatment and still wont eat. I also ended up treating the entire main tank because my Milomo started spitting food too. He only did this for a day and is eating again. Now The other 2 small giraffes are doing the same thing. This tank has gone through a full course of tetra parasite guard but the newest spitter started this morning. I also started the hospital tank on API general cure. If not a parasite what could it be? The fish look normal otherwise. The two fish in the hospital tank are the only two with white poop so far. They wont eat a thing.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would go with clout if that didn't work. Its a little more aggressive of a med and since you have a qt tank you don't have to worry about any silicone staining. I have used it with a really rough looking acei with great results.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
comanswoodwork said:
They have gone through a full course of treatment.
I recently treated 2 demasoni that weren't eating with Tetra Parasite Guard successfully in a 10g but it took the full 3 tablet course consisting of a water change, dosing, wait 48 hours, water change, dose, wait 48 hours, water change, dose, wait 48 hours, water change. At this point I fed Jungle Anti Parasite medicated food for a few days which they very grudgingly ate. Following that, they ate regular food like they hadn't eaten in years.
What did your full course consist of?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My schedule was dose the tank. wait 48 hours then did a water change and then dose again and wait 48 hours. Then I switched to the general cure and followed the same schedule. Tomorrow would be time to change the water and do a third dose. I hope these guys pull through.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
If there's no improvement (no bowel movement and/or still not eating) after the last dose of TPG, once the 48 hours has elapsed, you might want to try Clout or Metronidazole. If ordering either, I'd add Jungle Anti Parasite medicated food.
As an alternative, you can make your own medicated food with metronidazole.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The API general cure is metronidozole. 250 mg per packet. I stopped the TPG after two doses. Ill let you know how it goes. I just did my water change and added my third dose to the hospital tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.