Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My newest tank is a 180 gal and the largest I have had. It has been up and running for a few months now and I would like to add some new tank mates to the convicts and JD's that I already have. I'm not really sure what would work with them but I would like to add at least a pleco. In the past I have also had an oscar. Any suggestions?

Here are a few pice and I was hoping to get some input as to the sexes of each of these. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Here is my input in order of the pics.

Female JD
Male JD
Male Convict
Last fish, I'm not familiar with so I'm not guessing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason. I think that the last fish is also a convict but not sure on the sex.

There is someone local that needs to part with a few fish that I was thinking about getting as tank mates. Would any of these work for what I already have?

1 Blue Acara Cichlid 5 inches
9 Cherry Barbs 1 inch
2 German Ram Cichlids 2 inches
2 Green Severums 2-3 inches

·
Registered
308 Posts
i agree with jason with all the sexing of the fish. the last one if its also a convict than it is also a male because no orange coloring. i would say with such a large tank u could do the severums and maybe the blue acara but the severums are little more paceful so if ur fish are really aggressive and dominant. my severum is doing is doing fine with my jds. i wouldnt do the rams and not sure about the barbs

·
Registered
116 Posts
It really depends on your fish the cherry barbs may end up being a snack for your JDs and convicts also if your current fish have established territoires the Acara and Severums may not enjoy themselves in the tank either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
JD are not known to be psychos like most New Worlds so the acara and severums should work in that tank of that size. Even if the JDs do decide to breed, they rest of the fish should still be ok. But just in case they become too aggressive just remove one of them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I ended up getting the 2 green severums. The cherry barbs were way too small and would have been snacks for sure. I also did not get the acara. The only problem is that the smaller of the sevs wont eat and one of my cons has taken to chasing him every time he comes out of hiding. (I started a new thread on that...) I feel really bad for the little guy and don't know if I should take him out or take out "dick" as he is called now.

·
Registered
322 Posts
green severums are quite tough. you could try adding some more hiding spots.

you never mentioned the sizes of your current fish? the JDs still look relatively young

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not sure if I can add any more decoration/hiding spots for them. Its a pretty full tank at this point. I think that the cons are 2-3" and the Jds are about the same. the larger sev is slightly smaller and the smallest sev is probably 1.5".

I was able to catch the aggressive con last night and he is in his new home (a 45gal I had from before) until I can find someone to take him.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the smaller Sev still doesn't like to eat much. I have tried zucchini, flake, and a different type of sinking pellets. I did have some success with blood worms but today he came to where they were sinking and just looked at them. Not sure if it means anything but he also opened and closed his mouth large several times in a row while there.

He swims fine and although he does have 2 areas that he likes to hang in most of the time, when he does come out, he does not get bullied by the rest of the tank.

All my levels are good so I am not sure what more I can do. Any suggestions? He has been in the tank for about 3-4 weeks now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.