Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm thinking of doing a 74g African tank, and I want to use some rock from my saltwater tank. It's pretty similar to the holey limestone you guys like, but the problem is is that my cichlid tank will go right next to a saltwater set-up, and I really don't like the idea of the rock work looking identical in both tanks. I was thinking black substrate with black rocks would look kinda cool, so I was wondering if there's any fish-safe/aquarium-safe paint I could use to color the rocks? Thanks guys!

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
I wouldn't recommend painting the rocks. They will eventually lose the white color with algae buildup anyway.

·
Registered
705 Posts
ya my lace rock has slowly grown a nice coating of algae. just make sure to shift all the rocks around (the ones on top develop the algae faster imo) also 2nd question.. how could ur saltwater tank possibly look like it has holey rock? dont u have live rock complete w/ coral frags????

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you wanted to paint the rocks, why not ask in the DIY forum what they use to paint backgrounds? They paint backgrounds with great success. I believe they use coloured cement and some other kind of resin based paint. Worth a try :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
You can use Drylock (used for waterproofing), with cement tints. That's what I used for my DIY background. Just mix in black/rust tints to achieve whatever color you like and paint away. It'll obviously need time to cure and dry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.