Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3'×2'×2' tank that I want to set up. The water out of the tap here is very soft with a pH of about 7.4.

What type of fish would you recommend for this water? I'm open to suggestions in any direction, but I do like cichlids. What are my options to make the water suit either African or South American cichlids and which will be easier or more stable in the long run?

·
Super Moderator
40,715 Posts
What is the KH? If the KH is high enough to keep the pH stable, I'd probably stick with the 7.4 for Africans. If not, a little baking soda will nudge up your parameters.

The tank is small for most Malawi, but Tanganyikans could work. Think in terms of a rock dweller like calvus or julidochromis plus a colony of shellies like multifasciatus.

I will let someone else chime in about the south americans.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The KH is very low too. If I put limestone rocks in the tank, they should act as a buffer and increase the pH, GH and KH, helping to keep conditions relatively stable in the tank?
Would this be a better plan than trying to lower the pH with wood and/or tannins and keep the water soft for some south americans?
I'm thinking a colony of Pseudotropheus Saulosi and maybe a few smaller peacocks of some sort could go nicely in that size tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,715 Posts
Will you give us the KH result? With pH 7.4 the limestone may not help much. For me I have crushed coral in my filters and it has NEVER budged the pH result even one increment.

Many (most) of the SA and CA fish don't need extremely low pH.

A colony of saulosi would barely fit...I would not do peacocks in a 30" tank at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts