Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure some of you have run into this situation before....

When keeping fish over the last 20 years tanks evolve and so do the fish in them.

Eventually fish get old, they have some battle scars, their appetite slows down, they lounge around and become uninteresting and then the next wave of new fish moves into the big show tank and these guys get demoted.

I'm stuck in this situation, my once beautiful Central/SA tank is down to a lone JD and a severum who have now been moved to my 75 from the 180.

Unfortunately for me, the big beautiful fish who previously pushed these guys around are the ones who died first, so I'm stuck with some pretty sad looking old fish.

I want the 75 back for the next project, what to do with the old kodgers?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I would keep them. I think you owe it to them. They may be old and sad looking, but I think they deserve to live out their lives as comfortably as possible. Maybe I'm too sentimental.

·
Registered
332 Posts
No its not too sentimental; I thank you do owe it to them too. Haven't they given you years of enjoyment? Haven't you loved watching them and seeing them grow? My vote is to got MTS(multiple tank syndrome) and find another 75g for your new project, Let the veterans stay.

·
Registered
697 Posts
If you do get rid of them, do your best to find them a good home. I post a free ad on Craigslist, asking people to describe there tank and experience. I've been trying to find my oscar a new home this way. No luck, so far. Every reply is from someone with a drastically overstocked and with incompatable tankmates. I need peace of mind that he will be taken care of.

Nowdays, i keep smaller fish, because they are easier to find good homes when I get a little bored with them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't kill them off or get rid of them, as others have said, they did thier thing and I enjoyed them they deserve to live out thier days, I just hope thier days don't turn into years :(

I certainly can't find them another home, as I said they are sad looking, nipped/split fins etc, no one would give them the respect they deserve, they are obviously no longer top show quality

1 - 6 of 6 Posts