Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have begun stocking my 90 gallon tank, its seems fully cycled with readings of no ammonia or nitrites and nitrates between 5.0 and 10.0 ppm. The tank has filtration at around 900 gallons per hour and heated to 78 degrees.
All the fish have been bought as unsexed juveniles over the course of several weeks.

Here is my stock and mortality rate, fish do not die rite away and all seem to be healthy at first. There is little or no aggression in tank , fish seem hungry all the time.
- 3 acei's , 2 died
- 5 Saulosi, 4 died
- 3 colbolt blue, 0 died
- 5 L. Pearlmtts 1 died

Of course now very leary of adding any more fish, just courous of what I am doing wrong and what is acceptable motality rate for new fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
If the fish arrive healthy, I would have expected zero deaths after 3 weeks or 6 weeks or 12 weeks, etc.

Definitely not enough of each species. But we need more information to guess about causes...what symptoms do you have after they start to seem unhealthy?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also have been using water gone thru water softener , have very hard water. Last couple of weeks have preformed water changes with non-softened water (figured out how to bypass softener). Don't know if that could kill a fish or not.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Rapid changes in pH or mineral hardness can cause problems with the fish. Generally those types of changes need to occur over a period of time and not all at once. Softened water can have a considerably lower pH than hard water and in some cases, a large, rapid swing in pH can be fatal or weaken the immune system, making the fish more susceptible to disease.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lately changed to non-softened water with small percentage from softened water heater. I use " Prime" at all my water changes. Does anyone think it could be " bloat" ? Fish are small so I alternate between NLS small fish formula and Ocean Nutrition "Cichlid Vegi Formula.

·
Registered
17 Posts
junolake said:
I have begun stocking my 90 gallon tank, its seems fully cycled with readings of no ammonia or nitrites and nitrates between 5.0 and 10.0 ppm. The tank has filtration at around 900 gallons per hour and heated to 78 degrees.
All the fish have been bought as unsexed juveniles over the course of several weeks.

Here is my stock and mortality rate, fish do not die rite away and all seem to be healthy at first. There is little or no aggression in tank , fish seem hungry all the time.
- 3 acei's , 2 died
- 5 Saulosi, 4 died
- 3 colbolt blue, 0 died
- 5 L. Pearlmtts 1 died

Of course now very leary of adding any more fish, just courous of what I am doing wrong and what is acceptable motality rate for new fish.
What were your water parameters the day after you added the fish? 2 days after? It could be that while your tank was cycled there was not enough bacteria established to handle the increased bio load that was introduced with the fish.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Any chance you could borrow a sponge or some other media from a friend or anyone? That is how I start new tanks - just use a sponge from an established tank and I never lose fish, nor have to go through an iffy cycling process.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes tank was cycled with used dirty filter media and platys, readings where all good. I couldn't get platys out right away lived peacefully with mbunas, still do(will remove shortly). I have been reading a lot on " bloat" my fish show no physical signs of this disease, Its almost like fish are holding and then just die. Will continue to preform water changes and hope for the best. Thanks for all the advise.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
Bloated fish most often lurk at the top...not in the rocks. Also it does not usually kill in a matter of days.

As others have mentioned I would look to a water issue. Your test results seem right for a cycled tank. Maybe parameter changes caused by switching to/from softened water or other parameter mismatches in pH, KH and/or GH.

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
Your test results are good (water is clean). The problem is maybe fluctuation. You could test all parameters before AND after you do every water change for a while to make before matches after.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Test your softened water for pH and see how low it is. It would have to be really low to cause these kinds of losses though. Cichlids are tough fish when it comes to pH, they can handle a very large range, more than most other fish. I'd be surprised if that was it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
water softened ph came 6.4 , tank water using non-softened water came to 8.2. So maybe my ignorance caused most of the problem. No fatality since i stated using non-softened water and increased water change schedule. Thanks again for all your help.

·
Registered
404 Posts
junolake said:
water softened ph came 6.4 , tank water using non-softened water came to 8.2. So maybe my ignorance caused most of the problem. No fatality since i stated using non-softened water and increased water change schedule. Thanks again for all your help.
Thats really low but I still doubt it was the direct cause of the deaths, especially if you were only doing partial water changes with it. That means your tank pH never really got below 7.0 or even 7.5 after a water change. But its likely that the continuous fluctuations in pH caused stress > illness > death.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts