Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm completely new to the fish hobby and an amateur to the photography world. Both fish keeping and photography are my hobbies and I'm so thrilled these hobbies mesh well.

I don't own a macro lens and been saving up for my own. I borrowed a friends 100mm 2.8 macro last night, took some photos and wanted to share a few photos with you.

For the experts out there, I could use as many tips as possible. Shooting in Av was not so great. I had far more better photos in Tv mode. However, in Tv mode if I don't use a high ISO then it's too dark but too much ISO creates blur. What camera setting are you using and would recommend?

My tank setup in case it makes a difference.
- black background
- LED lights
- white reef sand
- lace rock

Camera body - Canon Rebel T2i, Lens - 50mm 1.4, 15-85mm 3.5

Here are some photos, I hope you enjoy. I know they can be better.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Fantastic shots and fantastic fish! It is difficult for me to get good quality pictures, as my tank is located in a dark part of my room.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I prefer to shoot in a dark room with only the tank light on. I use external flash either over the tank or on camera bounced. I shoot completely in manual mode with manual focus lenses. Generally at 100 or 200 ISO, 1/250 of a sec around f/5.6 or 8......but outside of that if I'm looking for a different look.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Elijah
Thank you. You can still get really nice shots in dark parts of a room depending on the limits of your camera. All I used was the tank light. However, my camera allows me to adjust the ISO setting which is the sensitivity of the sensor in the camera to light (easiest way of explaining it).

Irish Johnny
Thanks!

Riceburner
Thanks for the tip. Where are you bouncing the camera light? I'm assuming off the ceiling.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Looks good! I know that adding remote triggered flashes above the tank was the biggest step towards getting better results for me, I use one or two depending on the situation.

·
Registered
977 Posts
External flash mounted on camera bounced with a bounce card on the flash. I get something like this...

Remote flash lighting from above tank you get...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.