Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 fish that seem to be getting this white filmy coat on their skin and it actually looks like they are shedding their skin. I've never seen anything like it, and I've researched quite a few diseases and haven't found anything similar. Does anyone know what it might be?

We did just finish a bout with ich; however, our RED TOP Hongi had this issue before we saw the ich. Now our ACEI has it, and I'm now thinking I need to treat, but I don't know what to treat for.

Any suggestions or idea?

Thank you!

** our parameters are right on, but we still have an upped temperature due to treating the ich. We are treating for the ich for a few more days with Ich Attack to be safe but all signs of ich are gone.

**temp is only at 82 at the moment.
**we've added salt also, but not very much

·
Registered
247 Posts
Try googling Columnaris for photos. Sounds like that may be what you're dealing with. If so, you can treat with Maracyn/Maracyn 2 together, or kanamycin. Gradually reduce your temp to about 76; columnaris thrives in higher temps. Increase aeration during treatment as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. Right before I read this reply, I purchased Pimafix and Melafix and have been treating for 2 days. I know that it says to treat for 7 days; however, I'm now seeing patchy white spots (skin discoloration) on a couple other fish. Should I jump to the maracyn? If so, are there any chances that it will discolor tank silicon?

So frustrating...we had everything balanced and then we transferred them into our 150 and now we have this issue...I know it is probably stress, but I'm now worried b/c it looks to be spreading.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
247 Posts
If it is columnaris, melafix/pimafix won't effectively treat it. If you see that it seems to be spreading, I'd do a large wc and start the maracyn/maracyn 2 treatment. You could also run carbon for a few hours to completely remove the melafix/pimafix before starting the maracyn combo. You can also use kanamycin for columnaris.

Try googling columnaris for some photos and see if it resembles what you're seeing.

HTH and good luck...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts