Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New tank new blues ugh ok so I just got a 125g a few weeks ago I have a 55g established tank I used to help cycling process as well as seachem stability the 125g is a African tank opposed to my 55g communal which is absolutely stellar never any problems
Ok so the 125 I have a few Mbuna 1-1.5" 2x acei,2x kennyi, a ob zebra , and 2 others a little brown and one that looks like a kennyi blue black stripped that's morphing male yellows anyway one of my kennyi was making himself scarce the last couple days well today I bought 2x Rubin red aluna Stuart,2x sulfur heads,2x Lwanda,2x yellow blaze lithobates well shortly after my acclamations and intro process I noticed the kennyi was out in the open which he'd been hiding he was swimming kinda listing side to side and generally distressing gulping some which I separated him into a medic tank as for parameters
Ammonia nitrate and nitrite aren't height enough to give me a good reading yes I have strips which I'll post a pic of anyway my other tank runs flawless and I never lose fish except the very first neons I got so I'm kinda butthurt I know there's something I'm missing. Oh yea the new fish are 2"-3" I understand the Mbuna + peacock hap situation that's why I made the less aggressive species size advantage and if one becomes problematic my lfs will rehome
19FB77B7-2A50-403D-9EDB-0A90B40C710C.jpeg
well by the time I got done typing this he went tits up
A3988BE2-BC61-4489-ADF2-4D64F0E83C39.jpeg
and here's a pic of my tank

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but kenyi and red zebras are on the list of most aggressive Mbuna. My first suggestion would be to get rid of the strips and get an API liquid test kit if it's available. I'm sure you're having issues with toxins building up because the tank isn't cycled properly and you're adding more fish to the bioload. Your best option at this point is to take some filter media from the filter on the 55 gallon and put it in the new filter. Then you're going to have to do frequent 50% water changes until the nitrogen cycle is established on the new tank, so the toxins don't build up to lethal levels. Also, don't add any more fish in the mean time. Thanks for taking the time to come to the forum, we will help you get everything resolved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thank you for taking your time I know I need a test kit my old one was expired and my 55g is maintinence free except water so I really haven't needed one till now so on that note I'll have one overnighted I don't typically skimp on food meds or anything else. Also what's everyone's take on rubble zone or coral or just the Cichlid sand I don't personally prefer sand but will switch if necessary using some bs gravel that's delaminating I'm thinking maybe I need to bump up my ph but I would want to do it slow overtime

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Your fish would do much better with sand substrate. A lot of us use pool filter sand because it's cheap and clean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry late reply but I live in Alaska pool filter sand isn't something that's common

·
Registered
183 Posts
caldwelldaniel26 said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but kenyi and red zebras are on the list of most aggressive Mbuna.
I have both and neither seem to be an issue. I keep reading about Kenyi being super aggressive but I haven't seen it yet. Does this show up after a long period of time perhaps?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts